Chris' Rub #1

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the recipe for the first rub I ever made, based on my experience at Paul Kirk's School of Pitmasters class in 1997. Use fresh spices of the best quality. Like Chef Paul, I prefer to use flavored salts rather than straight salt in this recipe.

Chris' Rub #1
  • 1 c granulated sugar
  • 1/2 c Lawry's Seasoned Salt
  • 1/4 c garlic salt
  • 1/4 c onion salt
  • 1/4 c celery salt
  • 1/2 c paprika
  • 1/4 c chili powder (Gebhardt brand)
  • 1/4 c ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp dried ground mustard (Colman's English brand)
  • 1 tsp Accent (msg)
Stir all ingredients in a mixing bowl, then run through a sifter several times. Apply liberally to any kind of barbecue meat.

You can customize this basic rub by using 1-3 teaspoons of one or more of your favorite spices in addition to, or in place of, the dried mustard. Cayenne pepper would be a good choice.

Last edited:
Little over 21 years ago, Chris posted the first recipe on this thread. Since then, there have been enough recipes posted to fill up 29 pages. I was about to add 1 more recipe to this site. In checking what has been posted to see if my recipe would be a duplicate, I kept coming across so many delicious looking recipes posted by you all (and a lot of others). Since there are not enough days to make them all, I was wondering if you have any favorites posted here that you would recommend that we should try? Or maybe ones that you would like to try?

I use celery seed, not salt.....
i have started to dry brine with salt and fridge time, applying rubs without salt after.

Yeah, this was Paul Kirk's approach when I took his class back in 1997. If salt was going on the meat, he wanted it to be a flavored salt, not straight salt. I don't use flavored salts today, except sometimes seasoned salt, but I don't do the "apply salt first" thing, either. I'm just too lazy, I only rub meat once with all ingredients together!

Back