Salty Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I smoked some dorado yesterday, soaked in brine first then rinsed and had to store it overnight before I could cook it. Do you think storing it like I had to caused it to be overly salty?I used the recipe from 3 men smoking web site?
Thanks
Dan

A few things play into the answer.
How strong was the brine (how much salt
to water ratio)?
Lenght of the brine?
Rinse more than once?
Is there anything sweet in the brine?
This info will give us the info we need
to adjust the brine more to your taste.
Jim

Hi Jim,
The brine consisted primarily of 2 cups salt and 1 cup brown sugar in 1 gallon water. I soaked it for 1 hour, rinsed it and let it dry for 1 1/2 hour. Then put it in baggies untill the next day when I had time to cook it. What do you think?
Thanks
Dan

Two cups of salt to 1 gallon of water is
a lot of salt. I'd back off to one cup of salt. One hour in the brine is a relitively
short time but you may want to rinse a couple of times.
Jim

I'm going to cook some salmon fillets this weekend, do you think I should brine them? If so what would be a good recipe?
Thanks
Dan

I don't brine, I do a dry process:
Try Morton Sugar Cure (don't add hickory packet)
garlic
onion
savory
dill
Remove the small bones in the filet and Lightly sprinkle on onion,garlic,savory, and dill then put about 1/4" of the sugar cure on the filet. Cover in plastic wrap and place in fridge for 2 hours. Remove from fridge and rinse very well, pat dry and set it out for aprox 1 hour. Smoke at 225-250?
to an internal temp of 155?(if you like it drier cook longer). Just before placing on the cooker sprinkle with dk brown sugar.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back