Wasabi powder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry D.

TVWBB Pro
Anyone ever used this in a rub of any kind? I've got some and I'd like to try it. Not sure what flavor it would impart or add to the mix. It really just gives an immediate but qucikly dissipating heat when eaten alone. I really like it with sushi, and the wasabi peas and peanuts are good. I guess go with and Asian theme? Thanks.

I never used it in a rub, but I do mix it with mayo and/or mustard and serve it on angel biscuits with pork tenderloin slices for party food.

I like the wasabi peas too. Opens up the sinuses! I've crushed those and roll a cheeseball in them.

I've got access to all the wasabi powder I could ever want, since my wife has a sushi food cart. I've used sushi on steak rubs and on tuna steaks. It isn't overpowering at all in that context, but I eat so much wasabi that I can take a lot, kind of like a chili-head who gets a little numb to the effects of capsaicin. I've not tried it on low-and-slow foods.

When I looked at the ingredient list on the commercial wasabi, I was surprised to learn that it has food coloring in it. The natural wasabi powder (such as that sold by Penzey's) is white. I guess somebody decided that it had to be green, and everybody else tagged along like lemmings.

Honey, light Soya Sauce, Oyster sauce, minced garlic and wasabi powder make a graet asian marinate.

2 tablespoons of the honey and sauces
2 teaspoons of garlic
1 teaspoon of wasabi powder

Brush meat with Honey 10 minutes before finishing cooking.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back