Genesis S-310 vs. Summit S-420

Robert T.

TVWBB Super Fan
Am looking to buy a new gasser. Am trying to pick between the Genesis S-310 and the Summit S-420. Here is what I can determine from the Weber.com site. The Summit has about 6,000 BTU more and has a built in side burner. Aesthetics aside, I trying to determine if it is worth it to spend the additional $500 or so for the Summit.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob
Go for the Summit 450, it has the sideburner and the built in smoker box. This will give you greater versatility. The summit has a larger cooking area and I believe it also comes with a rotis as standard fit. (it does in Australia) It also has the rotis infrared burner. You can low and slow better on the Summit as you can just use one burner on low which will give you a lower heat.
The summit has 10 mm SS grill bars compared to 7 mm on the genisis. They will retain more heat.
The price will only hurt for a few weeks, the enjoyment will last a lifetime.
I have a Genesis E320 and love it. (in Australia it retails for $1500.00 the Summit S450 retails for $3500.00 For me the price difference was just too much. "Her Indoors" objected too strongly and too long. However, it is on the list.

The built in Infrared Burner and Rotis on their own are worth the additional dollars.

If you select either the Genesis or the Summit you are going to get the Weber squality, ervice and support that you deserve.

Regards

Phil,

You are once again the man when it comes to anything Weber. Thanks for the input and now you have me looking at the 450 instead. Question for you or others out there. I use my WSM on a regular basis and am curious if this will replace that. Wasn't sure how good the smoker functionality was on the Summit.

Thanks again,

Bob

Bob
Nothing! and I repeat Nothing! will replace the WSM. We are talking about two different styles of cooking and two different tastes. The Summit fills in the gaps, it enables you to do quick cooks, rotis cooking, side dishes, roasting with smoke flavour, combination cooks and grilling. You can also cook bread, cakes and deserts in it.

Regards

Phil,

My bad. I was really looking at the smoker functionality of the Summit versus using the WSM. I use my current gasser all the time in the way you described and this would replace that one. I was more curious about how well the smoker works on the gas grill as I have never used something like that before. Sorry for the confusion and thanks again so much for your help.

Bob

No worries Bob.
People ask me "why do you have so many BBQs?" I tell them the answer is simple, I cook many different styles, if I used one BBQ for the all the food would not come out properly. No BBQ can be all things though the Performer comes closer than most it doesn't get a cigar. If I was just starting out then maybe I would start with one and start developing my skills, however I would very quickly graduate to more BBQs and refine my skills.

Phil has lots of grills because he cooks everything to perfection and needs the versatility to do so. I have lots of grills because I don't know how to cook anything and I'm constantly looking for the magic fix.

I have a big Kenmore gas grill, just bought a Weber Q220, two indoor electric grills and a large George Foreman outdoor electric grill.

Maybe someday I'll learn how to use one of them!

Marty
Practice on the Q220, follow the recipies and you will be well on your way.
Put the Electric grills in the shed and lock the door.
I have no knowledge on the Kenmore but I am guessing that from now on you will only ever use it when you are entertaining a lot of people.
Our next step is to get you into some charcol grilling and a little bit of smoking in a kettle and the finally you will be able to play with the WSM and be a Weber Master Jedi.

Take care Marty

Regards

A Weber Master Jedi. I like that! I've already tried a couple of your recipes including the perfect steak and the cedar planked salmon. I did not have the brown sugar so I used a glaze instead and I think that overpowered the cedar. Either that I or did not let the plank smoke enough. But it was very good nonetheless. The steak was indeed "perfect".

I can't believe how well the 220 sears meat. I think part of my problem before was I never got the grills hot enough. The first time I used the 220 I forgot to turn it down and the meat was a little "crispy" but tasty anyway. The second time I turned it down to almost off (rather than the two notches you suggested) after the searing and it was just right - a medium well. It is 100 degrees plus here in Texas and once that grill gets hot it stays hot! This weekend I'll be doing a nice ribeye and then I want to tackle those grilled prawns along with garlic mushrooms. I'll get Jedi status pretty soon!

Marty
Prawns - 2 minutes per side maximum.
Texas gets nearly as hot as Melbourne does some times. We occassionally get 42C days (107F) commonally get 35C (95F) days. It sure helps to bounce the temp gauge needle on the stop. You just need to remember to keep the fluids up.

Bob - which way are you going to go, are you going to get a new gasser or keep what you have and go the Kettle/Performer and WSM route?

Regards

Phil,

Having 4 kids creates the necessity that I have the gasser. We use it all the time so I gotta stay that route. I am still trying to decide between the Genesis or the Summit but leaning towards spending the extra money and going with the Summit. It's a brand new patio we are doing and my wife splurged on the new outdoor furniture so I kind of think I owe it to myself to buy the better grill. Agreed??

Thanks again for all your help.

Bob

marty, yer biggest problem is that you don't have a weber kettle. time to move up.
icon_smile.gif

Phil,

I did step up and bought the S-420. I looked at the 450 and chose to stick with the 420. The way we cook, I probably wouldn't get much opportunity to use the rotisserie and I use my WSM for any smoking so didn't think I would need the smoker box. Either way, I am psyched. The high end hardware store in the town next to me had it on sale and it was as cheap or cheaper than anywhere I could find online. And they deliver and set it up. It will be here Tuesday. Thanks to all for your help.

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert T.:
Phil,

I did step up and bought the S-420. ......................
Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good one Bob
You will love it

Send me an email (my addy is in my profile and I will send you some recipes that I do in the Q and the Genesis.

Regards

Phil,

Thanks for the recipes. I will let you know how I do. Question for you though. Any suggestions/secrets to cleaning the Summit? I love the way it looks and want to make sure I do everything I can to keep it that way.

Bob

Bob

Stainless can go in the dishwasher if you want to go that way.
The outside can be cleaned with a Stainless Steel polish. Try and avoid finger marks and wipe them off while using the BBQ.
The grill bars just need to be brushed before and after use. You can give them a deep clean in the dishwasher or clean them with oven cleaner same for the flavourizer bars.

You can take the hood off (remove the 2 pins) and give it a deep clean with oven cleaner. The cook box you can wipe with a BBQ degreaser.

The cleaning regime would be no different to any other BBQ. To make it look spectacular just keep cleaning the outside regularly with SS polish. I clean and polish the outside of my Genises E320 very regularly, it positively shines and look brand new on the outside. The inside looks cooked in.

Regards

Back