zip lock

Dan H.

TVWBB Pro
sorryif theres already been a post about this. i didnt see one though. I find the new zip-lock vacuum bags pretty darn nice. and afordable if your me. I like em' using the hell out of them already. do you guys?

Dan, There have been many posts about the Reynold's Handi vac. First I've heard of the Zip-Lock one.

im just assuming a food saver takes 98 or 99% or even more air out, but i dont know for sure. so i just thought i'de ask. Looks to me like with a slightly time consuming 20-25 pumps about that amount (99% or better) of air comes out. I did some tuna steaks, new yorks, rib eye, chuck eye, and some chicken so far. i could see the moister in the bags getting closer and closer to the pump side. to me that seems pretty tight and those suckers didnt leak. i was impressed but have nothing to compare to. Kind of nice to just grab a bag and go. the pump wieghs nothing, and those are the only two parts to this rig. if i remember right the "starter kit" was 4 bucks, and depending on size bags... the refills are around 3 for small and 4-5 for bigger.. or something like that. .....thats nothin to me, im happy. big thumbs up.

Dan, Sounds like it works quite well, and you can't beat the price.
icon_cool.gif
IIRC the Reynold's is battery powered and about $10 or so. There's a few posts in the Kitchen gadets forum on them.

We use the Reynolds a lot. And not just for freezing things. We like really good cheeses but they are expensive. We use the bags to keep our cheeses as they can be resealed countless times.The cheese last a long time.

have recently opened and used foods saved with these. no frezzer burn, no negatives so far, still buying and still none leaking. just thought i'de let you all know. just surprised to see not much talk about em. I verified price and they are pretty cheap. thanks.

Just bought a zip-loc vacuum this week (on sale for $3.99 with 3 bags). Tried it once already with great results. Easier than my Foodsaver and a lot cheaper.

Ray

thought i'de bring this back real quick for just a comment. I have by now (after ALOT of use) noticed that about every 6th, to 8th, bag seems to have a leak. I've decided its either one of two things. Either the factory seal isn't perfect on all of them, or I've noticed it may be possible to get small particles (of a rub, or bacon mix, etc. for storing, for example) into the "suck part" of the bag. I imagine some small bits of liquid/and or particles could possibly get stuck between that little flap causing that one way air removing "valve" (lets call it a valve) to not work properly. Anyway I still love these things for the price, this is the way to go for me other then that. Very small amounts of frost in my frozen food, and the colors stay vibrant after thawing etc. these are great.

yeah, i'm enjoying mine and have had no issues so far. i really haven't had any long-term storage yet, so i can't say if they hold up as well.

I just picked one up to see how it works. It sealed a lb of ground pork nicely. However, I wondered if it was any better than dunking the bag into a pot of water before sealing.

hmm that may be one of those bags i described above, seems like not quite all of them work exactly perfect. On the good ones you should be able to seal it so tight that juices start creeping tword the vacuum hole.. uh thing, know what I mean (hope that makes sense)? Also might check your rubber end on the sucker and sometimes w/ heavy use I put a little veg. oil on the plunger to give it more suck power.. SUCK POWER baby! hope that helps.

I just tossed in a bag a piece of dry cured pork that I had sliced some. I think these bags will work out nice because of how easy they are to reuse. I can take the meat out, slice up what I need, and reseal it in a second.

I use the heck out of my Reynolds vac and seal (the battery op one), to my wifes dismay. She bought me a foodsaver for xmas 2 years ago, so she wasnt too impressed when I started using the $10 vac and seal over her $80 foodsaver
icon_wink.gif
They have quart and gallon size bags also. If it were me, I'd get the Reynolds over Zip-Lock.

I was a little nervous sticking the vac n seal bags into a pot of simmering water to reheat meat, I was scared they may melt. So far I've came out ok. I always pay close attention though, to make sure it dosent start to melt to the pot or something.

I don't think it will replace my Foodsaver, but the Ziploc sure makes saving cheese easier, cheaper, and possibly even seals more consistently. It definitely seals tighter than dunking in water. So far I'm sold!

I have a Foodsaver and the Zip-Lock. I use the latter similar to what J.B. uses them for. They really are great for things that you want to vac-pack but will keep reusing such as cheese and charcuterie. I also use it for store bought bacon. Usually after a couple of days from opening it and sealing in regular zip bags they oxidize. Using the Zip-Lock vacuum bags they last over a week without oxidizing. I have found that they leak air after a few days unlike the Foodsaver sealed bags. The zip-locks are great for short-term storage.

I keep thinking im done with this thread but then im not! The last box seemed almost flawless, no leaks. Now i'm wandering if they come out of the factory goofy or something, lol. I've had some like J Pan, and some that just keep sealing over and over and over .. etc. strange. maybe it depends on the guy running the "suck flap part" that day in the factory, some perfect, some good for twice, some three times, .. some never die, some dont work period! pretty wild. still like em.

Back