portabellas

Jeff Kolodziejski

TVWBB All-Star
Hey guys...looking for any good recipies for low and slow portabellas on the grill. Id like to do something simple in tinfoil just as a side dish to something. I think Jim Lampe or Shaun R. may have done something with them on here before, but can't seem to find it. Or even if you link me up with some previous articles. Thanks in advance!

Hey Jeff, i simply grill whole porta's EVOO'd and seasoned the way you like them then semi-direct...
with sliced bella's, i like to use a cast iron skillet or the like with real butter. Just cook'um soft.
I haven't stuffed the shroom's yet, like others have...
the mushrooms i do are usually for toppin' a steak or other veggies.
Good luck with what you come up with
icon_wink.gif

Extra-virgin olive oil.

You can certainly do them in foil but as foil prevents them from taking on anything from the grill you might as well do them in a pan. Your choice.

Portobellos are very good grilled. Remove the stem completely, scrape out the gills with a spoon, brush with flavored butter, oil or a combination of the two, and grill direct or indirect, flipping or not, till tender.

If you want to stuff them you can grill till tender first, then stuff. A mixture of chopped tomato flesh, herbs and cheese is nice, as is crab, shallot and apple with a little bread crumb binder - many possibilities. Remove to indirect, cover the grill, and cook till the filling is heated and the cheese, if using is melted.

Back