Pop-Up Tents

E Mann

TVWBB Fan
I need to get a new 10x10 pop up canopy tent for this years season. I had a Quick Shade in the past and am not 100% satisfied but the price is right. What are some of the brands that you all recommend? Thanks for your help.

Second the EZ-Up. Got it at Sam's but I don't remember the price. I heard early on that I could expect about a years use out of it if I competed 10-12 times a year. I'm into my second year with it and so far it's holding up real well.

I did have to replace two of the arms a couple of months ago after I bent them at a comp.

Russ

We assist with several yearly outdoor events for our Basset-Hound Rescue group, and have quite an assortment of canopy-type tents that we have used over the past ten years.

YMMV - but my observations are:

Most of the units with the "accordion-folding" reinforcements around the perimeter and from the vertical posts to the center are pretty flimsy. If you want them to last, you have to be a bit careful with them:

-When setting-up / tearing-down, use (3) people to "walk" three corners in - towards the stationary corner.
-In order to reduce damage from wind - stake them down properly, both through the flanges at the bottom of the posts, and add the wind-stabilizing stakes and lines out as far as room will allow.
-The lines that go to the top of the corners are CRITICAL if rain is in the forecast - they apply tension to "stretch" the canopy. This keeps it from sagging and collecting mini-swimming-pools. Once those happen, you're in trouble.
-If you can pull-up your stakes with your fingertips - they ain't holding squat!
-For pulling-out stakes, do not grab a tent post or anchor-line and lift - get some sort of heavy tool (pry-bar or old pair of BIG channellocks, and pull the stakes one-by-one, in a semi-proper manner.)

We have had better luck with some units that have fixed poles that snap into heavy plastic corner and top pieces. These require some assembly, but lack the flimsy pivot-joints of the "accordion-type". The ones we have use steel poles, which seem more sturdy and wind-resistant (heavier-guage vinyl-coated cloth canopy as well).

If you want to make set-up easy, get a few rolls of color-coded electrical tape. Run bands of matching colors around the sockets on the fittings and joints on the poles. That way, after a few years and lost instructions, all you have to do is play "match the colors".
(Prevents FUBAR when the rain is pouring!)

Hope this helps.

I picked up a First-Up 10x10 for $97 at WM. It doesn't seem like the highest quality one, I know EZ makes a few different models and some seem much more rugged than mine. However, as Ron G stated, I believe properly using & staking them are keys to them working well and lasting. We had pretty strong winds at a comp in October, but it held nicely. You can also get screens and side panels for the First Up brand.

You can get a EZ-Up at Sam's or a Caravan at Costco... Both around the $200 price.

The best canopy out there is probably "Impact", but they are pricy.

Try one of these!
icon_razz.gif

Nature Boy

I would just love to see a bear get a hold of one!

Keep in mind that pop-up tents are meant for shade, not a storm shelter. I recall reading some funny reviews on amazon regarding warranties being violated if there is ANY wind. My opinion is to buy an inexpensive one and take care of it as best you can. We've gotten a few years of service out of one we bought at a Dick's sporting goods store.

Thanks for the input all. I actually picked up a used 10X20 canopy tent from CL. It's not a pop-up but is easy to put together, is waterproof and was only $75.

We've done a number of comps and I've never had a problem setting up a tent that wasn't fire proof. In fact, I don't know if I've seen any fire proof tents! I guess I'll just skip those comps!! Thanks again.

Back