Turkey a la King

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
4 T unsalted butter, divided

1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced or chopped (or 1 oz dried mushrooms, recontituted, chopped)

2 shallots, peeled, chopped finely (optional)

1 small onion, peeled, chopped finely

1 rib celery, diced finely (optional)

2 t dried thyme (or use fresh)

1 small bay leaf

2 T white wine (optional)

2 T flour

2 c chicken or turkey stock (or low-sodium broth, or a weak mix of bouillon and water)

2 c diced cooked turkey, lightly packed

.75 c heavy cream

2 c fresh baby peas (or a box of frozen)

freshly ground black pepper

freshly ground white pepper (optional)

salt

Minced fresh parsley (optional)

Melt 2 T of the butter in a large pot or saute pan over med-high heat. When the foam subsides add the mushrooms and saute, stirring occasionally, till they release their juices, about 4-5 min. Add the remaining 2 T butter, bay leaf, thyme, celery, onion and shallot, if using, and saute, stirring frequently, till the onion is soft and starting to brown in spots and the liquid has evaporated, about 6 min more. Deglaze with the white wine, if using, letting it evaporate completely.

Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir well to mix well. Cook 2 min then add the stock, broth, or bouillon, bring to a boil stirring constantly, and cook till the liquid is thickened a bit, about 2 min.

Remove the bay leaf, add the turkey and the heavy cream, stir well, and return to a simmer. Add the peas, return to a simmer again, and cook, stirring occasionally, till the peas and turkey are hot and the liquids have thickened a bit more (can simmer further if you'd like it thicker). Add the ground pepper to taste and salt, if needed.

Serve over biscuits, mashed potatoes, rice, buttered noodles or toast, topped with the minced parsley.

Kevin

On edit: Nixed oil. Increased stock by 1/2 c.

Sorry for the delay.. I'll add my recipe to kevins. This one looks simpler
icon_smile.gif

8 oz can of mushrooms (reserve 1/4 cup of the mushroom juice)
1/2 cup diced green pepper
1/2 cup of butter or marg.
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 cups light cream (I just use milk and it works fine)
1 3/4 cup chicken/turkey broth
2 cups cubed turkey
1 jar chopped pimentoes

Cook mushrooms and green pepper in butter for 5 minutes.

Blend in flour, salt, and pepper. Cook over low heat stirring until the mixture is bubbly

Stir in cream, broth, reserve mushroom juice, and heat till boiling stirring constantly.

Boil and stir for 1 minute. Stir in turkey and pimentos and heat through.

I like it served over buttered toast.

Hope you enjoy.

I just made the version I posted above. Used all the optional ingredients and used 1 oz of mixed wild mushrooms from Trader Joe's, reconstituted as noted. Quick and delicious. Served over leftover mashed and stuffing.

This is a nice simple to execute dish...very good flavor. My sons who do not like mushrooms or peas just lapped it up!

Thanks Kevin-good stuff.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
Served over leftover mashed and stuffing.

Suddenly the light comes on - this dish makes even more sense now.

Leftover stuffing is usually good but leftover mashed potatoes often need more help than even gravy can give them
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by r benash:
Interesting - looks like it would be good baked in a crust. Just reduce the liquid a bit?
Yes. Get it tighter before adding the peas. It's probably worth reducing the cream first in a separate pot, reducing to .5 c vefore adding to the mix.

Puff pastry sounds good.

This is one of those recipes that I watched get made all my childhood and transfered over to my family as an adult. Looking at the recipe its hard to believe that creamy goodness that results from making it. I look forward to trying Kevins recipe sometime instead of the one I posted and comparing them.

My wife just took homemade biscuits and turkey a la king to a faculty breakfeast and people raved about it and were requesting the recipe.

For how easy it is to make you'd be a fool not to try!

Originally posted by K Kruger:
Puff pastry sounds good.
It is K. That's how my Mom made it. She would use the Pepperidge Farms puff pastry shells. What's cool about them is the center is perfed/scored on them and you can take the center/top off. Mom would brush the tops with butter and bake the shells. When done she would remove the center and fill the shell up with the "a la King" and then put the center/top back on. This was way up on my list of favorite meals growing up.
icon_smile.gif

And finally, the "fresh ingredients, are you kidding ?" version. We used everything fresh at Christmas and nobody felt like going out for more...

1/2 tbsp butter
1 small onion chopped finely
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1/4 can half-and-half cream + 3/4 can water (1/2 can water might have been better)
1/4 tsp marjoram (couldn't find the thyme)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp ginger
1.5 cups chopped leftover turkey (2 would have been better)
1 cup frozen corn

Saute onion in butter, add soup/water/cream. Heat until blended, add spices, heat a bit more, add turkey, heat a bit more, add corn. Spices are those which happened to be handy (ie at the front of the spice cabinet) and which seemed reasonable. I served with leftover rice pilaf (green pepper, celery, onion) and the combination was surprisingly good. The earlier recipes would have been even better but this was "no excuses" simple
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Baby Bellas work well with this recipe.
IMO Bellas work well with most recipes that call for shrooms.
icon_wink.gif
Mom always used Bellas in her "a la King". I'm fixing to make this today from a Turkey I smoked yesterday (Sunday) on the WSM. I plan on making the stock from the bones of said smoked Turkey. It was supposed to be deep fried on Christmas Day but i couldn't make it.
icon_frown.gif
I smoked it up over lump and Apple wood on Sunday Dec 28th, and I have the puff pastry shells in the freezer for the King. I'll post some pics of the event for your viewing pleasure.
icon_biggrin.gif

I made this today using Kevins recipe. No white wine in my house and no shallots, used the last one up the other day, and the store I went to for Bellas and heavy cream had none.
icon_frown.gif
So I made turkey stock from the carcass of yesterdays smoked bird. It simmered for 3 hrs on the stove top with carrots, celery, garlic, bay leafs, peppercorns. I reduced the stock down from 3 qts of water used to about 5 cups of final stock. I followed the recipe but I got to be honest here. The whole time I'm making I'm saying to myself "why am I not putting bacon in this".
icon_rolleyes.gif
Next time I will along with a grating of Asiago cheese. This was so very good, and I didn't even use a paper plate.
icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks for sharing Kevin.
icon_cool.gif

Here's the link to some more pics.

TurkeyalaKing007.jpg

I made some of this today with Keri's State Fair biscuits. The whole family really enjoyed it. I've heard of this recipe before but I don't recall ever eating it before and certainly never made it. It's a great thing to do with leftover turkey all agreed.

2009-01-03a008.jpg

I thought the step to add flour as described was curious. I though Kevin had finally lost it and I was going to end up with a lumpy gooey mess. But it worked fine, no lumps. Why does it work? Left to my own I would have used the gravy shaker and cold broth or water.

Nice looking plate BTW there Bryan

Originally posted by Shawn W:
I thought the step to add flour as described was curious. I though Kevin had finally lost it and I was going to end up with a lumpy gooey mess. But it worked fine, no lumps. Why does it work? Left to my own I would have used the gravy shaker and cold broth or water.

Nice looking plate BTW there Bryan
Shawn, I've been doing it that way for many years when I make sausage gravy, it does work well and no lumps. My guess is, with the fat in there, the stirring, and the light browning, it's really like making a roux, only with some food in there. Suasage gravy would go good with them "Fair" biscuits.
icon_wink.gif

And Thanks.

Back