Low temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry McCorkle

TVWBB Super Fan
This weekend I cooked a 3.5 lb Boston Butt and 2 full racks of ribs. Used a Weber chimney and a half (8 lbs) of Kingsford, 4 chunks of apple and 2 chunks of Hickory. The charcoal filled the chamber just a little over half full. Got it all grey, filled the water pan full of clean H2O and tried to get the cooker temp down to 210 but it would not get there. However, the WSM performed wonderfully by holding the temp at 220 - 225 for 4 1/2 hours. I then opened the vents to get the temp to 260 - 275 range to finish off the ribs and get the butt going a little faster. I pulled the ribs off after an 1 1/2 hours at this temp and left the butt on since it's internal temp was only 156. The cooker then held this temp steady for an additional 2 hours. At the end of 8 hours, the charcoal was 99% consumed and the meat was at 180 (should have left it on longer but that's another story).

Just another example of how easy it is to use this BBQing machine. One note though, I do not believe that my WSM can go any lower than 225 unless I use less charcoal or use the Minion method.

Next week, I am going to try the Minion method with Lump Charcoal that I just procured from Walmart.

SC Que

Please let us know what you think of the quality and performance of this new Walmart lump charcoal that people are talking about.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back