Rub Ratios?

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
Hi All,

What are your thoughts on using basic ratios when building rubs? I have seen a few different here. I'd like to start using a few base ingredients and build my own from there (by trial and error). Any help would be appreciated.

JDH

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James Harvey:
Hi All,

What are your thoughts on using basic ratios when building rubs? I have seen a few different here. I'd like to start using a few base ingredients and build my own from there (by trial and error). Any help would be appreciated.

JDH </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Go for it! That's more or less what I do. I've settled on the basic spices I'm going to use and just put them together. I've just started measuring them so I can reflect on the results and vary the proportions next time.

So far the extent of my adjustment is "Not too much Cumin as a little goes a long way." I suggest taking notes on what you start with and your thoughts on the results. Next time review your notes and decide what you want to change.

If course, I'm probably not the right guy to ask for recipes. I'm not very critical of the results - it all tastes great to me! There are others on the board who have more refined tastes and can probably suggest a good starting point.

Ratios can work well. I, e.g., use less sugar than most, often much less at around 10-12% by volume (not including salt, something I never put in rubs, preferring to salt separately first). I go a little higher for butts - less for beef, usually (often none at all), and scant to none for most poultry. Sugar, especially in the amount often found in typical rubs, flattens flavors considerably. This is compounded when combined with sweet sauces, a finish that I am not interested in.

If you look at recipes I've written you'll see some common ratios I use, with some variations, on the main ingredients, and then ratios of the lower volume ingredients, in comparison with each other as well as to the primary ingredients. See if it makes sense to you.

Back