Newbie Jowl Question

Steve_P

My wife ordered me pork jowl for Christmas to make guanicale with and I defrosted it today to apply the cure. When I opened the package and started to trim, I got a sneaking suspicion it was actually beef cheek. I have not worked with either so telling the difference is difficult for me. My wife checked the order and it was for pork jowl, however, on the package it only said cheek meat. Also, above where it says cheek meat there is a blacked out part of the label. I was able to decipher it as "cachete de res". I assume that means beef cheek.

To me it smells like beef, but is there any easy way to know?

Also, I had made the cure from Charcuterie with fresh garlic ahead of time. Is that something I can store in a plastic container and use later, or should I junk it and make a new batch when I am ready to apply?

Thanks for the help.

Thanks Kevin.

Do you think I can use the cure I made up a few days from now when I get the pork jowl? It is just salt, sugar, fresh garlic, fresh thyme and peppercorns.

Probably, yes. Garlic tends to sour after a while (especially if not kept cold) but the salt should help prevent this. Fridge it, getting rid of as much air as possible.

Smell it before use. It will likely be moist. You'll note the garlic, of course, but see if you detect sourness. If so, discard and replace.

The farm just emailed me back and had this to say,

"it is pork cheek, our hogs, being a heritage berkshire, is darker meat too. I think the guys running the weight scale used the name that was in the system and changed it with the market. Beef cheeks are about 4 lbs each."

I guess it is pork. They are only about a quarter lb each cheek.

Cure away.

I assumed your wife ordered them from some local market and it was supposed to be typical commercial pork. My bad. Heritage pork is indeed darker, especially Berkshire, and makes for far better guanciale.

The cure has begun!

I am simultaneously curing bacon and jowl for the 1st time. I will post some pics for critiquing when the process is finished.

Thanks again for the help.

Terrific.

Of course you'll be making some pasta for that guanciale, no?
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Of course you'll be making some pasta for that guanciale, no? Smiler </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ahh, carbonara
icon_biggrin.gif

here's mine with homemade guanciale, its a revelation:
IMG_4471.JPG

I look forward to your results.

The curing stage of my guanciale concluded today. I took two photos before I hung them. They are very small pieces of jowl. I cut one in half and took a picture of it. Does that look like it should?

Also, can I cook the one I cut with out drying phase or should I discard it?

Thanks again for all the help.

What did you cure with exactly? Me, I'd make more and cure longer.

Know what the cure temps were?

I don't know it. Any pink salt in it? Probably not.

I'd make more.

If your fridge temps are low, especially at night when the door remains closed, it can slow or even stop curing.

It did not call for pink salt. When you say make more, you mean cure and let them cure longer, or start over with new meat?

More, and let the cure go longer.

If it had contained pink salt you'd have to reformulate using less. Since it didn't you can go with the same cure.

Back