Mojito

Todd R.

TVWBB Super Fan
First thing I do is to make some simple syrup...1 Cup of water to 2 cups of sugar, heat to boil, stir frequently until the sugar disolves. Cool, bottle, and keep in the fridge.

Mojito
Cut the ends of a lime and then slice into 3 or 4 slices, which I then 1/4 and put in the bottom of a tall glass
5-7 Mint leaves
Muddle (smash) these together
Add 1 Shot simple syrup
Add 1 Shot Light Rum
Fill the glass with ice
Top off glass with club soda.
I usually pour the whole thing into a shaker and mix it up and pour it back into the glass. You can just stir it if you have room. Very refreshing on a hot day.

We use Mojito flavored "rimmer" from william sonoma on the glass.

Another idea for the Simple Syrup is after the boil toss about 25 mint leaves in there for about 3 minutes, then strain them out and bottle the syrup. The syrup gets a nice light mint flavor to it, good in the Mojito and also Mint Juleps.

If you mash the mint around the glass first (I used the back of a spoon), it will really help to release the oils and give you more flavor. After mashing it around the glass a little, you can then start your muddling with the limes.

Most bars just chop or tear up the mint, and they don't get nearly the same amount of flavor.

I, too, prefer simple syrup, but if you don't have any on hand, and you just want to make a quickie, a couple of spoonfuls of sugar before muddling the limes will suffice.

If you have a juicer for your limes, make sure you add a couple of lime husks to the drink because the skin adds a lot of flavor.

I also like to add a couple of dashes of bitters.

With fresh mint growing like crazy in my backyard, I practically live off these things all summer long!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">simple syrup...1 Cup of water to 2 cups of sugar </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn it's been forever since I've had a mojito, very tasty stuff. Do you find your simple syrup extra sugary? I always thought simple syrup was equal parts sugar and water . . . or at least that's how it was back in the day when I bartended, maybe it's different for mojito's it's been a long time since I've made them.

Larry,

Mojitos are the standard drink down here. I'm with you on the simple syrup. 1 to 1 ratio water and sugar. I also go 2 to 1 with the rum to syrup
icon_cool.gif
. The only other thing I would mention is to mix and muddle everything except the soda, shake, strain into a glass with ice and then top with club soda.

You should also try a real daquiri (not the frozen stuff) made by shaking rum and syrup (2 to 1) and straining into a glass with ice. Very simple and great.

Oops, of course you add ice to the shaker as well
icon_cool.gif

Cheers!

It's going to be a hot one here this weekend, 101 and I was hoping to make some of these to sip by the pool at Ed C's house, he's having a little birthday bbq, guess he didn't have enough cooking for that graduation party last weekend with me. I'm sick as a damn dog so it doesn't look like I'll get to have these this weekend
icon_frown.gif
Maybe next weekend, this post has me craving them . . .

UPDATE: Correction, it's going to be 106 here tomorrow.

I can't believe I never tried it before, but adding mint to the simple syrup for a few minutes is a real masterstroke! Thanks for that great tip. It has greatly improved the flavor of the drink!

I love mojitos I usually make them frozen, kind of like a slushy.

Mojito Slushy Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup fresh lime juice, about 4 to 6 limes
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, firmly packed
2 limes, zested
1/2 cup light rum
8 cups crushed ice
Mint sprigs and lime wedges, for garnish

In a saucepan over medium heat, add the sugar and water. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until the sugar is dissolved and the syrup is clear. Set aside to cool.
Put the sugar syrup, lime juice, mint leaves, lime zest, and rum into a blender and blend until smooth. Add the ice and blend until slushy. Spoon into glasses; garnish with a sprig of mint and a lime slice.

To make it even easier for parties I put everything together in the blender without the rum and ice. After the ingredients are blended I put it in a pitcher. At this point whenever you want to make a pitcher of mojitos you add some of the mixture, some rum, and some ice. I have been doing it this way for years. Glad to see some interest in this refreshing summer drink. Works for Caipirinhas too if you have Cachaca.

Mojito is the only reason we have mint growing in our garden,altho i do a vodka mojito and skip the rum.

Best summery drink u can have in ur hand while ur smelling the fumes comming from the smoker.

Bless

Had a few Mojitos over the 4th while smoking and eating the meal. I've been doing the mint in the simple syrup for a while and really like it.

Vodka mojito? hmmmmm

In reading this, two additional questions come to mind:

Q1. Light or Dark Rum? (Favorite brands to use?)

Q2. In the simple syrub - anybody try turbinado sugar? A little touch of molasses might add an interesting flavor note with the mint.

Well in the "original" mojito they use Havana Club Blanco.(light that is)

And that syrup i have no xp on.

Bless

I LOVE mojitos. LOVE. L-O-V-E....adore.

It is the only alcoholic beverage I drink during the summer months. I also make blueberry, raspberry, blackberry, strawberry, and mango mojitos.

I personally always use light rum. A very very good rum called 10 Cane.

Heyden: I also make blueberry, raspberry, blackberry, strawberry, and mango mojitos.

Never even thinked about that,but will try and make this and post the drink.

//Me

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron G.:
In reading this, two additional questions come to mind:

Q1. Light or Dark Rum? (Favorite brands to use?)

Q2. In the simple syrub - anybody try turbinado sugar? A little touch of molasses might add an interesting flavor note with the mint. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You would want to use light rum. Can't really go wrong with Baccardi.

I Like the idea of the turbinado sugar. I think it would work well, whats rum made out of anyway!

Personally I'm into Caipirinhas this summer. I guess you can blame the churrascarias for that. Not as sweet, more refreshing, at least for me anyway. Just get a bunch of limes, cut them up, muddle them with some turbindano, add crushed ice, and ,the most important part, cachaca. I use leblon because its readily available. Before you know it the the whole bottle is gone.

Back