2 sides spareribs, or your favorite ribs
3/4 c. mirin
3/4 c. sake
3/4 c. DARK soy sauce
3 T. sugar
1 T. Asian chile sauce
1/4 c. minced fresh ginger

Remove membrane from ribs.

In small saucepan, combine the mirin, sake, DARK soy sauce, sugar, chile sauce and ginger. Bring to a boil. Set aside one cup for marinade. Marinate ribs overnight, turning frequently.

Boil remaining sauce down to 1 cup. Set aside for glaze.*

*At this point, I thickened this glaze with a product called Signature Secrets. You certainly could use cornstarch, arrowroot or rice flour to thicken as well. I wanted a thick, candy-type consistency that would literally stick to the ribs. Be careful in reducing this too much, as the flavors concentrate very highly. I glazed the ribs 45 minutes before I pulled them off.

Jane,
Thanks for sharing this. My wife loves teriyaki, but isn't fond of "sweet" foods. Would you consider this to be a sweet recipe (sugar and ginger - might do that) or does it tend to lean towards the side of salty?

Not super sweet, you can always cut the sugar. It's pretty intense with the dark soy sauce. Competelely different flavor and texture. I'm going to be in KC on Aug. 7th for a conference. I'm am hitting Gates for lunch on Fri. with a friend, and a must have there are the lamb ribs at Fiorella's Jack Stack. I'd never seen lamb ribs before my last trip there a year ago.

Back