New WSM cart

Paul,

Job well done!

Mobility, wind protection, insulation, work space....
icon_cool.gif

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n.... too many choices!
Gary

Paul, very well executed. Can you do a few more photos. How do you access vents, add coals etc.?
I am very impressed.

Nice cart. As with Steve, I have some questions. How do you put the WSM together. I load the charcoal bowl, light the fire and then put the middle section on. How do you do that with the cart? Also, did you ever think of some sort of cover so that it would be more weather proof? All in all though, it looks like a really nice job.

If you look close in some of the shots of the inside there are wooden slots that the legs of the WSM fit into. This is so that all the vents are facing a door and also that every time the bottom is put in the cart it can only fit one way. I did my first cook yesterday. Had some problems with my Maverick probes getting them through the eyelits in the WSM and up to the top of the cart. Coals are added through one of the doors. To cook I put the bottom piece in first,add unlit charcoal, put the chimney with the lit through the hole on top(a bit tricky with the hot coals), assemble the smoker and voila it's smoking time. Steve, I sure could use some suggestions on a cover for the top so I can cook while it's raining. I found out that my cutting surface is too small for large pieces of meat. I did two briskets and had to throw on a couple of cookie sheets to put the meat on. We had pretty high winds here yesterday but this baby just chugged along. Held the temps real well.

Dan, It's the silver insulation Lowe's or H.D. sells. A lot of the guys on this site use them for WSM blankets. I just got the small roll and cut it to fit the doors

OK now I see all the pix.
What are your thoughts about going bottomless? Do you have enough wind protection without a floor?

Steve, it worked out fine. Wind didn't sweep underneath. Had like one spike during the cook. Wednesday night I'm doing an overnighter with some P.B. for the people at work. Will let you know how the temps hold on a real long burn. Funny thing happened though. Usually, I shut all the vents down and the unit cools off in no more than a couple of hours. Well, I left the doors shut on the cart after I closed all my vents and 5 hours later the WSM was still hot. I thought maybe I'd developed a leak from transporting the unit around but I checked the charcoal ring last night and had almost 3/4 of a ring left. I started with a full ring plus. My main concern is smoking in the rain. Need to think of some kind of cover for the top.

Are you good friends with either a beer/liquor distributor, or a store that sells spirits? Or are you a golfer at a place that has a 19th hole? They have lots of promotional items, and there's usually a stockpile of stuff in the corner of the building somewhere. Ask if they can score you a patio umbrella. Here's a Rolling Rock umbrella on eBay right now: http://tinyurl.com/y24hzm

Or, get one of the oversized golf umbrellas and rig up some type of attachment. Something like this I did during the reign of Ernesto:

ernestooo2.jpg

Jim, I thought of a simple but ugly way to do it. Going to put two boards with feet on either side of the top of the WSM. Router out the back ends vertically so I can slide a board between them and cover with some removeable OSB board. What's nice about this is that it's removeable and I can store it easily. If it gets windy I just put a brick on the OSB.

I got the plans from Cherrytree.com . They no longer carry the blueprints for that so if you wanted I could send you copies BUT I did make a lot of mods. I added insulation to the doors,feet guides for the bottom of the WSM,granite tile top(if I had to do over I'd use stainless steel sheeting). You can email me. My address is in my profile on this site.

Nice job Paul! The Naked Whiz site has a photo gallery of carts and tables that BGE users have submitted, that with a little creativity could be modified to hold a WSM.

Sorry Paul I did not see your e-mail address listed. Check my profile and see if you can send me a note. I would be interested in getting your plans and could probably send you a couple of Punchs or Cohibas in return.

Gosh Dave you really know how to twist a guys arm
icon_wink.gif
.My email is paul.h @americanwholesalers.biz I'll look for the plans tonight.

Nice cart Paul you got talent all i can make is a good sandwich.

Back