Spicy Italian Sausage w/ Pic's

Stefan B

TVWBB All-Star
Kinda dreary day here in BC so thought i'd finally try my hand at makin' some sausages.
Used the spicy italian recipe out of Michael Ruhlman's Charcuterie book.

Just under 5lbs of pork shoulder chopped up and ready for chilling in the freezer
P1010108.jpg

Spices
P1010110.jpg

Some toasting
P1010109.jpg

P1010111.jpg

P1010112.jpg

P1010113-1.jpg

Perhaps next time i should use a tape measure to get some constancy of the lengths of links. haha!

Excited to get a few links on the grill!

Had to try them out with dinz...

Perogies with sautéed onions and sausage
P1010114.jpg

YUM!

Pretty sure i'll never buy store made sausage again.
Think breakfast sausage is up next.

Stefan, instead of cutting the pork into chunks, make strips. Strips are easier to feed into the grinder because once they catch the auger drags them in.

sausage looks good. What kind of casings did you use?

Originally posted by j biesinger:
Stefan, instead of cutting the pork into chunks, make strips. Strips are easier to feed into the grinder because once they catch the auger drags them in.

sausage looks good. What kind of casings did you use?

Thanks for the "strip" tip Jeff i'll definitely try that next time.

As for the casing i used these.

Pretty sure i'll never buy store made sausage again.
I'm so impressed. Still haven't taken the plunge to making my own sausage, but your post is really inspirational. Delicious!

It was a blast to make Gary, really enjoyed it.

Chicken breakfast sausage is going down this weekend! Stay tuned.

As a first attempt you have done an awesome job. I use real hog casings (which are becoming harder to come by) and then cut into lengths of about 3 feet (nose to fingertip) then remove the salt (inside and out). You fill each length using a knot at one end and string on the other. This can now be made into 4 sausages. Each sufficient for one person for dinner. Squeeze centre with finger and thumb. Twist one way you now have 2 repeat with 1/2 length and you now have 4. Easy quick no real measuring or weighing and they will be uniform in size. Your homemade sausage is a going to be healthier tastier at a much lower cost. Also use a spice grinder for whole black peppercorns and whole fennel seeds.

Back