So... I only have one rotisserie fork :(

Ryan Gardner

TVWBB Fan
I'm doing two birds today - both around 12lbs. One of them I'm going to butterfly on the WSM and the other I was planning to put on the rotisserie on the kettle.

I can only find one of my rotisserie forks though
icon_frown.gif
I can't imagine a 12lb turkey staying securely on the spit without having a fork in each end - I've debated trying to rig together a fork out of a coat hanger or something but that seems like a dumb idea...

Anyone ever rig a 12lb turkey on a rotisserie with only one fork and live to tell the tale, or should I start thinking about a plan B for this bird?

I've got a few hours still until I need to start cooking it. If I didn't just move to the middle of the boondocks I could try to run to one of the few stores that are opened on thanksgiving (kmart, basically) and hope to find some gas grill rotisserie kit I could buy to get the forks out of.

why not try to rig it out as you mentioned? after all, cooking is all about the experience, good or bad at times. i think you should be fine if you rigged it up with something like a couple of regular forks and wired them together on the spit so that a fork was on each side of the spit and contained the weight evenly. as long as you wire the forks on there properly so that the meat is secured i think you should be fine. just make sure whatever you use is obviously all metal and able to withstand the heat. for example i have a long handled weber grilling fork that is all metal and fairly light. i wouldn't hesitate in using it in the form i described above if i was in your situation.
just think of yourself as robert irvine on a episode of dinner impossible and you have to rig up your rotisserie with only one rotisserie fork and make up the rest as you go.
keep us posted on how it all turns out.
happy thanksgiving.

I'll see what I can come up with. If I don't get time to figure out something suitable, I might just go with cooking it vertically on a big can - but I agree that rigging something up is an interesting challenge.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryan Gardner:
I'll see what I can come up with. If I don't get time to figure out something suitable, I might just go with cooking it vertically on a big can - but I agree that rigging something up is an interesting challenge. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you can lay ome aluminum foil out on the patio or driveway along with some charcoals underneath. take a metal can and place charcoal on top of the can as well as around it and i believe it can cook a 12# in 90 minutes.

i have to double-check on the time for it, but a meat thermometer takes care of that.

Back