Smoked Chicken Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I need some advice as to what I am doing wrong, I have smoked several chickens now but I am experiencing a problem whereby I place the chicken in the WSM connect up my temeprature probes and cook. Alarm goes of saying chicken has reached 185 in the thickest part of the thigh. Take the chicken off and check the thigh again with a second probe, 185 check juices are flowing nice and clear, check the breast meat and temp correct at approx 160-165. But when I tip the bird on end a lot of basting juice and (shock/horror) blood pours out of the cavity. It always seem to come from the bottom of the bird either laying in side or leaking from around the neck end. I don't really want to have to put the bird back on as it is already at temperature. Am I missing something fundamental ? I have delibrately cut a bird in half at this point and I always find that the breast legs and thigh are all cooked, however at the base where all the bones are there is always some small trickles of blood coming from the bones. Can anyone help ?

Thanks in advance

Iain

That's an interesting situation. I've never experienced it because I've always cooked chicken butterflied or vertical as in beer butt chicken. But as others have said, assuming your thermometer is accurate, the meat is definitely cooked properly so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back