Summit Silver B New on Craigslist

Chris A

TVWBB Member
I was originally looking at some of the upper end Genesis models, while really wanting the Summits. I realized I probably don't need some of the features of the Summits (smoker, rotisserie, SS frame, etc.). But I did want SS grates, bars, and burners. The side burner was optional. So I sort of decided on a Genesis Gold or Platinum B or C. This was going to set me back roughly $500-$800. Then...

...I came across a brand new in box Summit Silver B LP (now discontinued?) on Craigslist for $600 even. It is model 5220001.

I just wondered if this is a average/good/excellent price? Anything about this model I should know?

The other thing I need to do is convert to NG (not sure if that is possible and if so, how expensive).

My goal is to replace my Capt N Cook NG with a Weber just for the sake of having all Weber (Weber Fever I suppose).

Thanks for any comments.

Chris

Chris, I believe all the Genesis models have SS burners. Since HD is the only retailer that sells the PCI grates, that would be my preference, whether I got the SS bars or not.

I was lucky enough to snag a Genesis on Craigslist for $50 recently. I think that qualifies as an "excellent" price.

Hey thanks for the info. I actually did get a response from Weber and it looks like it will be another $175 for the conversion parts, so I think that makes the deal not that great.

I am sure this has been discussed many, many times, but I am still a little confused on the grates. Am I correct in assuming there are 3 types available: Porcelain, PCI (Porcelain Coated Cast Iron), and SS? I guess it comes down to preference.

I guess it is back to Craigslist...

depending on the grill...there are actually at least 5 grates that i know of..

1. PCI (Home Depot exclusive i believe)
2. porcelain coated steel "grates" (hollow/light)
3. stainless steel "grates" (hollow/light)
4. stainless steel "rods" 3/8" thick (heavy)
5. some newer Silver B's will also have lighter stainless steel rods - premiums will still have 3/8"

personal preference indeed, but the 3/8" rods hold heat extremely well, don't rust, and don't have to be handled carefully to avoid chipping the porcelain coating.

Cheers!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joec:
I thought there were also cast iron grates (not coated)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Possibly. Weber's site has manuals specifically for models with cast iron grates. For example, under "Support - Manuals - Gas Grill Manuals - Genesis Silver StopWatch 2002-2003 - Genesis Silver C LP with Cast Iron Grates w/StopWatch Engineering". That manual has a page on how to season and maintain the grates, so I'm assuming they are actual uncoated cast iron.

However, I don't know if Weber sells replacements for those grates. Or what retailers got to sell those models originally. At the present time, I think all retailers get the same manuals - the manual for a "HD" Silver B with PCI grates is exactly the same as a "selected retailer" Silver B with SS grates, etc.

Back