Paprika Question

Gary McD

TVWBB Pro
I was in one of the wholeale warehouses yesterday looking for a few spices. This store has 20 oz bottles of Pitmonton Paprika. It's darker in color than the paprika that I usually buy,and there wasn't much information on the lable about the product.

When I arrived home I looked a description of the spice on the internet. About the only thing I could find out is that it's Spanish Paprika.

Does anyone know if this is a mild or hot paprika, and is it as sweet as the papriks that we generally use?

It's actually pimentón, right?

Pimentón is Spanish paprika. The word is often used to signify smoked Spanish paprika, kind of a shorthand, but this really isn't correct. There is pimentón dulce (sweet), pimentón agridulce (half-sharp or medium) and pimentón picante (hot). Smoked is pimentón de la Vera and is a favorite of mine. I use it any time I want a smoky flavor (I loathe Liquid Smoke) in sauces or in rubs for fast-cooked grilled items to boost the smoke flavor. And I use it here.

Anything on the label indicating which it is? If not, you'll have to taste it. If you're lucky it will not have sat around the store or their DC or their supplier's warehouse forever, a problem with warehourse store spices.

Thanks Kevin!

It's a name brand, but it only said Pimenton Paprika. I read the entire label, but there weren't any details about the product.

The paprika was not a bright red and had a dark (rust like) hue appearance.

It's rather cheap for a name brand, but I think I will purchase a bottle elsewhere!

Back