Charcoal questions

Patrick

This may sound like a dumb newb question but im new to the charcoal world. Would using hickory or mesquite kingsford with hickory or mequite wood chunks? a better question would be is that going to be too much flavor with the charcoal and the wood or would it be better to go with regluar K and wood chunks?

I don't think you get any additional flavor from the tiny bits of mesquite or hickory compressed into the hickory/mesquite Kingsford charcoal. I use regular K or Royal Oak (or lump, depending on where the good sales are or if I'm using my Kamado Joe)with pecan or hickory chunks. Not too much wood - a little goes a long way over a long smoke.

Better to know exactly what you are getting. Personally I would just use regular charcoal and add the wood myself.

I started with straight Kingsford. Then tried Competition, then tried the Mesquite and Hickory you mentioned. I think I can taste the flavor difference when using the Mesquite and/or Hickory Kingsford. I now use Hickory Kingsford.

(Disclaimer, I am far from a certified BBQ Judge, but I have eaten it and enjoyed it my whole life w/ the belly to prove it)!

In any event, I am getting ready to add the wood myself, as per Scooter B's suggestion.

For what it is worth, I'd try working with the Kingsford Mesquite/Hickory for awhile and moving up like I did. If nothing else, you will have something to compare it to.

Scooter B, my concern is changing the temperature regulation I've gotten used to with using the Kingsford. Can you comment on that for us? Any pointers? A couple of fist sized chunks, not soaked and partially buried in the Kingsford?

Thanks in advance.

JKC

thanks for all the input, i just got my wsm today and got it all assembled and excited for the first cook, then reality set in and i realized i cant use it for another week....i am no longer happy.

@Jim - if I understand your question correctly, a couple of pieces of wood stuck in the charcoal is not going to affect your temperature in any meaningful fashion. Keep in mind that the burning is going to be limited by the amount of oxygen, which is controlled by your vents. If the wood's burning it's just stealing oxygen from the charcoal and vice versa and it pretty much all works out.

(I'm sure you could measure a change if you tried, my point's more that it's going to be smaller than you would think and not matter.)

@Patrick - In a WSM I'd rather start with something neutral and then add wood. It's just easier and will probably give better results. Anyway it's kind of fun to play with different woods if you are in an area where you can get different kinds. Only having the choices of mesquite or hickory wouldn't be nearly as fun!

Back