Plat D6 Summit 1st thoughts

Konrad Haskins

R.I.P. 3/23/2014
It's HUGE. A small woodlot was cleared to make all the cardboard needed to pack it. I have a 4'x8' trailer half full of the cardboard it came packed in. Suprised at how little effort it took to put the huge number of monster pieces together. Fire it up and 690F is achieved in short order and all the flavorizer bars are glowing RED. Only use the smoker box burner on low and you have 265f after pre heat. Both of these at night at 55f OAT.

I've seen complaintes the BTU's are on the low side. A smoker that can handle more BTU's over years of use will need to be much beefier and take lots of propane and time to pre-heat. If you want 1000f buy a ceramic cooker not a metal grill.

Cooking report to follow.

Love this beast. It is a high weber quality cooking machine.

The Bad.

It's a gas hog if you fire all the burners up.

The side burner can not handle a pot big enough to keep up with the grill.

The flavour is very good but not the same perfection as a RK or WSM.

Don't expect the stainless to stay silver the heat will brown the metal that gets hot.

The Good

It's a smooth quality cooker. Dial in a temp and it will sit there effortlessly.

BIG;
3+ Sam's Club 6 to 7 pound flats of chicken.
1 full plus 1 half hotel pan up to 6" Deep.

Great smoke ideal for Chicken, Steaks, Beans etc.

Solid 3/8" SS Grates

Side burner just the right size for a Weber Chimney or to keep your mop warm.

225f indirect is as easy as 700f+

No regrets this is an impressive high quality cooking machine.

Konrad,

I concur. I love mine. If you have a small cook you can preheat will all burners then just leave two or three on after that for direct cooking. I haven't had any problems doing one or two steaks that way.

Back