Seasoning your pit.

Slap Yo Daddy BBQ Classes

Jerry P.

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi Harry. During the rib cookoff at Johnny Trigg's, you mentioned that you seasoned your pit for a year or two. Please elaborate on what you mean by "seasoning" your pit. Thank you.

It takes a while for a WSM or any pit to develop the right aroma and bark/gunk on the sides and dome. I wouldn't recommend you enter a contest with a new pit. I season my new pits by cooking bacon strips or scrap pieces of meat (e.g. pork trimmings) to generate oil vapors, smoke, and grease to coat the inside. I think it takes at least 10 cooks for a WSM to develop the right "seasoning" for consistent flavor. Whatever you do, never cook hot dogs or fish in your WSM that you use to cook ribs, chicken, pork or brisket. Get a separate Weber kettle for hot dogs, hamburgers, fish, lamb, etc.

If you've ever tried smoking meat in a pit that was previously used to cook hotdogs, you'll know what I mean.
I find cooking ribs and chicken in a pit previously used to cook hamburgers affects the rib and chicken flavor.
Remember my frame of mind is winning contests. Aunt Martha probably wouldn't notice much. A CBJ on the other hand, would!

So, are you saying that you would not recommend smoking salmon in a WSM if you use the WSM to also cook ribs and butts or vice versa? If so are you speaking from a competitor's perspective or the average backyard BBQ'er. Do meats pick up tainted flavors from previous cooks?

I understand the logic of not mixing salmon smokes and others, but a bit bummed at the news. I'm sure it's one of those...if you're not a competitor, relax and have a home brew!

I have cooked salmon several times in my WSM, and I am very sensitive to fishy smells, and I have never noticed a problem. But as I say, only a few times...not dozens of times. Maybe that would make a difference. And I'm not sure how it's different than grilling fish in the same grill as steaks, burgers, etc. It's not reasonable to think you'd have a WSM reserved for fish only and another for everything else.

I'm saying this from a backyard perspective, not in terms of competition, of which I have no personal experience.
icon_smile.gif
Your mileage may vary.

Regards,
Chris

Again, if you spend $1,000 expenses for a contest, do you really want to risk your chances by cooking fish in your competition smokers? Bad return on investment. Not a wise decision IMHO!

I agree with Harry. I "grill" fish a lot, But at high temperatures in the WSM. Smoking salmon at 150 - 200 degrees will leave a smell and taste to other foods if it isn't burned off at higher temps. For a competition WSM I wouldn't risk it. I would just use a regular Weber for grilling on the side.

Keep up the good work Harry!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Harry,

You make a good point. I would imagine this applies to any pit. Let's say you did foul up your pit. What would you recommend as a degreaser to start fresh?

Also, I stripped down my main pit last year to bare metal (not a WSM) and repainted/re-seasoned it. I finished strong in the first 4 or 5 comps but then after that - not so much. Do you strip/re-season mid way through the circuit or after XXX amount of cooks?

-rob

I say degrease and start over. Season as if new pit. I put a thread on how to season a new pit.
I don't clean my WSMs ever and believe the gunk is good for BBQ.

Back