Help Please Laptop direct to stoker using Vista

M Smith

TVWBB Member
I have been having loads of fun tring to get this to work. I have the the network adaptor turned on using a crossover cable but I dont understand the place to set up IP and how to get it to work any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'll try to asnwer your question, I'm kinda doing this in the dark, not knowing what you know, and making a few assumptions.

#1 Assuming you are not connected to the internet via the wireless adapter. First of all to hook up direct with a crossover cable, you must use static IP address on both your laptop and the stoker. This is done on the stoker system menu options. Just cycle though until you get to that section. You can use almost any IP addres like this, but I recommend you stick with a private network address range such as 192.168.0.X, the x has to be a number in the range of 0-255 and that number has to be different on the stoker and the laptop. You will need to supply other IP address in your static configuration as well. The subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 and I would assign the gateway IP address the same as the laptop's IP address. Since you can't connect to the internet anyway, use the laptops address as the DNS address. So for example, set your laptop's wired adapter to this setting:
ipaddress 192.168.0.2
subnet 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.2
DNS 192.168.0.2

your stoker ip shoule be set to
ip address 192.168.0.5
subnet 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.2
I don't think there is a DNS address section, if there is, make the laptop's ip address.

Now you can turn on the laptop and the stoker, open the browser on the laptop, and type in the address bar 192.168.0.5, hit enter, and you should be looking at the stoker interface.

Now, if you are hooking up to the internet on your laptop via a wireless connection, you have to do things a bit differently. Once you are hooked up, find out what IP address was assigned by the wireless router. It will be like 192.168.X.X . If this is the case, locate your wired adapter and set it up to an IP address in the same range. SO if the wireless adapter's address is 192.168.2.101 , set the static address on the wired adapter to 192.168.2.201 for instance, keeping the first 3 sets of numbers the same and using a unique number for the 4th set. Keep the subnet, the gateway and the dns the same as the wireless adapters assigned address's. Do the same for the stoker. Once the address is set for the stoker, you can access it via IE or other browser by it's ip address.

Does this make sense?

Oh, I forgot to mention Vista. It seems that MS decided that if people were to believe that they had really developed a new OS, they would have to change the way they did everything, even if it meant the end user would have to spend countless hours searching for something that had always been simple to find. I have 8 computers running, none of them Vista. This article goes into this and a few more things. http://windows-server-training.com/enable-windows-vista-dhcp-tcp-ip/

Let me see if I can explain a little better. I am hooked up to the internet via wireless. The thing I am tring for is to go to comps and use my laptop at that point I will not have wireless. I do not know my computers IP. But I do know my wireless printers IP it is 192.168.1.xx. The link for setting up ip for vista will help me I think. Im at work will try it when I get home. So what do I make the hardwired network addaptor IP and what do I make the Stoker IP? Thank you for your time and help in this matter. Man sometimes I wish I would have stuck with XP I knew it so much more.

Mark,you will be so busy at a comp and eating them special cherries that you won't have time to mess with your laptop
icon_biggrin.gif
Are you going to Viejas ? I tell you Mark,I got rid of my Stoker and went with the DigiQ,much better unit and great support.

LOL yea them cherries are good. Yea we are going all signed up. I have used it without any electronics tied in worked pretty good the reason we are going with stoker is we are going to use 2 WSMs

I don't use Vista but you should be able to find out your computer's IP address by the following...
You can hold down shift and right-click and you will get the option to "Open Command Window Here." This will open a Command Prompt that is queued to your current directory.

Once there type in, "ipconfig /all" (don't type in the "") then hit the enter key. You should see your laptop's IP information.

Manually set the Stoker to a different IP, connect the 2 with the twisted pair, open a browser and type in the Stoker's IP address and you should see the config page.

I hope I'm helping and not confusing the situation.

Mark,

Be it Vista or XP, once you go solo on a computer with IP, you are going to have issues. There is some hope however. If you normally hook up to a network that assignes an address of 192.168.1.X , go ahead and use that schema for your static address on your wired network adapter and Stoker. Enable it when you're home and disable it when you're at work. DO the opposite for the wireless adapter. Everything will work out just fine.

BTW: if you run ipconfig /all at home with no static ip set and no connection, you're going to get a 169.XXX.XXX.XXX address, no help at all.

yee haw got it figured out now I just need to figure out ver5 program Thanks all really came in handy. Hey Tim now I can set it and forget it, ready for the margarita machine. hehe

LOL !! Glad you got it figured out.I only need the one unit and the Guru seems so much easier and none of the glitches and problems the Stoker has so that is why I went that way.Since I have the Diamond Plate,I use that for most of the comp meats.When my Stoker was running correctly and I was using it,I loaded up the WSM and it ran from about 8pm till 9am the next day on one load of charcoal without any problems.Looking forward to Viejas,there are only a few teams going from AZ.,we need to take all the hardware back with us !

Back