K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
1.75 lbs russet or Yukon Gold potatoes

1/2 c all purpose flour

1/4 c semolina flour

freshly grated nutmeg, about 1/3 t

1 t salt

2 egg yolks

Wash and dry the potatoes then roast in a 350 oven till soft. Holding each potato with a kitchen towel to protect you hand from the heat, peel them then run through a ricer onto a parchment-lined sheetpan; spread out and allow to cool.

Mix the two flours together in a cup measure and, in a small bowl, beat the egg yolks together till combined and smooth.

Sprinkle half the flour mix onto about an 8-inch round area in the middle of a cutting board or on the counter. Pile the riced potatoes onto the flour then make a hole in the middle of the pile. Add the egg yolks to the hole, sprinkle the remaining dlour over all and add the salt and nutmeg as well. Fold all together using a fork and your hands till the mix is well combined and feels silky. (Add a little flour on if necessary.)

Scrape up the dough and lightly flour your surface and hands, returning the dough to the surface. Flatten the dough a bit then cut into strips. Roll the dough into 1/2-inch diameter ropes on the lightly floured surface then cut using the side of a fork or a knife into 1/2-inch pieces. (At this point you can place the gnocchi on your very lightly floured, parchment-lined sheetpan, lightly flour the tops, then drape with plastic and hold on the counter.)

Bring a wide pot of moderately salted water to a boil and, meanwhile, heat a wide sauté pan, preferably nonstick, over med heat. Blanch the gnocchi, about 20 at a time, till cooked (they will float to the surface), about 60-90 secs. Remove with a spider or slotted spoon, draining well. to a smooth, lint-free kitchen towel.

When all the gnocchi are cooked, add a little evoo to your heated pan and swirl, increasing the heat slightly. As soon as the oil is quite hot, add the gnocchi to the pan (cook in batches if necessary--do not crowd) and cook till the bottoms are lightly browned about 60-90 secs; flip each and brown the other sides. Remove and serve immediately, sauced or otherwise.

Serves 2-3 as a main dish, 4-6 as a side. The recipe can be doubled.

Edited to tighten up the ingredient spacing.

I've been meaning to do this for some time now. If one is sans ricer, any recommendation on breaking down the potato? Also, I have to say, no Gnocchi Board? Oh the shame!

This will be a new thing for me, never had gnocchi.

I have a pasta extrusion machine with a gnocchi die ... do you like extrusion for this or hand rolled and cut?

Marc-- If you have a food mill use that. If not, use a masher and mash well. Don't use a processor as they become too pasty. I quit using a gnocchi board a while back. I don't rol; on a fork either. It's an extra step I just don't find adds anything. I just cut with a fork.

101_0628_2.jpg

Shawn-- I have never used an extruder for gnocchi. My thought is that it might compact the dough too much--but maybe not. Might be worth making half by hand, half not, cooking separately and seeing how they compare?

re/ Food Processor: Convenient as it might be, way over the top in terms of beating it to death. Gluten formation. That's what I was thinking. Per the board, I have to say that the ridges make me happy. Depending on the sauce it a nice thing. Besides, tradition!
icon_wink.gif

True, tradition, and you certainly can do that or, sans board, use the tines of a fork. Ridged, though, they won't brown between the ridges, just at the points where the ridges meet the pan. Not necessarily a bad thing but something to note.

Kevin, I understand what your saying about the browning but with the ridges you do have a real contrast in texture and there is a sauce/cling thing going on. Believe me, I'm talking about a bunch of silliness. If anyone (almost) made me Gnocchi, I'd be a happy camper! You have to understand. Although my heritage is German/Polish, I work with a native Genoa Italian so... It's interesting though, because I'm finding out how most American interpretations our based upon Sicilian roots.

Not disagreeing. Perhaps I'll try it some time and see. But I gave up ridging a while ago in place of browning the gnocchi for increased flavor and texture. I don't miss the extra step at all--but it might be worth seeing what they'd be like.

My mom used to make them all the time. I still have the tool she used to role them. I should give this a try. Thanks.

Back