Smoked Mackerel?

Carlton Wilson

Family friend is longing for some smoked Mackerel, which she can't find here in "The Colonies". My searching online revealed a basic salt rub for a 5-40 minutes depending on thickness of fillet, and then smoking "until done". Anyone have a recipe for traditional smoked mackerel, as found in England/Europe? Or advice on wood choice, finish temp, additional flavorings etc?

Thanks!

Have not done Mackeral, but from what I understand, it's an oily fish.

In this case, my guess is that whatever works for Salmon should also work, because it is also an oily fish.

A simple salt & brown sugar brine, maybe with a little herbs like rosemary. Soak for about a day. Then, smoke it with a mild smoke wood like Apple and a little Maple, Alder, or Grape vine.

Mackeral caught during fall is best suited. If you have "normal" filets, they should be 1/2 pound each.
Wet brine in 14% brine for 8-10 hours. Rinse, and keep in cold water for about an hour. Let the filets air dry, and add a bit of sugar.
You can use some pepper if you want, but it is really not needed. Nor is additonal flavorings. The fish is fantastic in itself.

Alder and wet/fresh juniper, berries and all is very nice.

Smoke for a couple of hours, low start temperature, and let it rise to 160-170 degrees F

What the others said! I love smoked Mack. Never done it myself (we have one of the best fish smoke houses were i live) A brine is what i would do just like Geir said. And what to put on it? Well the smokehouse have a few to choose from: A lemon/black pepper/dill/paprika/natural/sea salt crusted. I Always go for the dill or the pepper crusted ones. And the temps Geir stated is what you are looking for. Good luck!(and report back)

*edit* Alder wood is the one and only!

Thank you all, especially Geir! That was exactly what I was looking for. I'll post results when I can get my hands on some Mackerel!

Back