tel true therm.

Corey Elks

TVWBB All-Star
what makes the tel true more accurate then the piece of junk that comes on the wsm? Are they both bimetal technology? Just trying to justify spending the 30 dollars on it. thanks for input

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Corey Elks:
what makes the tel true more accurate then the piece of junk that comes on the wsm? Are they both bimetal technology? Just trying to justify spending the 30 dollars on it. thanks for input </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't speak for the thermometers in the newer wsm's, but the older ones did not come with one. Tel-trues have a great reputation that many of us out here can vouch for. So the Tel-true was a natural choice for me when I wanted to add one to my wsm lid.

Yes, they're both bi-metal, but the difference is in the quality of the components. The Weber thermometer (as well as most of the $15-$25 gauges) that I've tried have normally been at least 10 degrees off. The Tel-Tru models that I've used have been much more consistent in their readings.

I've got a tell-tru BQ300 with the 3-inch dial and 4-inch stem.

I really like it a lot for the following reasons:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>It's big enough such that I can read it "ballpark" from my kitchen window.
<LI>The long stem reads the temp inside the lid, but not right AT the lid (closer to grate temp)
<LI>It has held-up to being outside in Rain and Snow
<LI>After over 4 years, it's still clear and solid
[/list]Never checked its accuracy - but, I figure that if it's within 25 or so degrees, it's close enough for BBQ use. (I don't lose sleep over 25, sometimes even 50 degrees.)

Back