Two kettle rotisserie night

MW_Miller

TVWBB Member
I recently picked up a SS performer off of CL, and what better way to break her in by spinning a couple of chickens. We had some neighbors that just had their first child, and I remember how hectic it can be the first month or so. My wife and I didn't have too many home cooked meals when my son was born. So, four chickens total on two performers. I have both the weber ring and the cajun bandit ring (bought for use on the WSM).

chickens soaked overnight in a salt/brown sugar brine

Both kettles fired up and ready

91 SS performer chugging right along

around 340-350 lid temp

chicken done

Two of these got black pepper and two got a light coating of one of the John Henry rubs.
The black pepper chickens were cooked with apple/pecan while the JH ones were cooked with pecan/cherry. They were fantastic,and our friends were delighted in thier suprise meal.

Mike

Great cook! What kind and where did you get that stainless rotis used on your Green Performer? Thanks

Troy is right - the SS roti ring is the cajun bandit ring. I used the smaller EZque basket on this kettle. The motor is a heavy duty motor that I bought from here.
When I started using the ring a couple of years ago, I didn't like how the motor that comes with the Weber ring performed when you have a heavy or unbalanced load. Here is a video that compares the heavy duty motor with the stock motor.
rotisseries in action

No skips or hesitations, and the rate of spinning is faster. I realize that most folks think that is overkill - but this motor will take anything that I can throw at it.
Mike

I really noticed/liked the looks of that motor too. Pretty cool.

I recognized the EZ-Q baskets right away. They are definitely the best.

When I bought my EZ-Q set up years ago I bought the 50lb motor that looks like the $100 version in the source posted. Need to say that that has served extremely well for all my cooks, even for whole turkey (about 12 pounds) and roasts.

You should be able to use the motor you have to turn whole pigs
icon_smile.gif
Very nice.

You can't beat a good motor in a roti system. Significantly better performance than what ships with typical systems (including Weber). Nice steady constant speed without having to fiddle with counter weights, which never really work all that well IMHO.

Nice looking cook!

Will the motor you have on your green performer fit the stock bracket that comes with CB Rotisserie ring?

Thanks, Alan

Back