Grill mat or what? under WSM???

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
We are finally in the process of replacing our deck and I'd like to replace the old oil drip pan with something a little more aesthetic. Perhaps a grill mat? Ace hardware has one that is 42 x 30" for $35, but I haven't looked at it yet.

I'd like something that is fireproof but will allow the deck to dry out underneath the mat or other protection. Is there such a thing?

Other recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks,
Rita

Rita,

I have two grill mats (one for gasser, one for WSM). I only put them under the gasser / wsm when I am cooking because leaving them on the deck all the time will discolor your deck. The lack of exposure to the sun sun will give you an "outline" on the deck when you take the mat up. I did this on my old deck and it was an eyesore.
Now, I keep both mats standing up and leaning against the wall when not in use.
Can you send us a picture of that new deck? And what material did you and Jack decide to use?

Ray

Ray, Thanks for the tip on the color of the deck. It will be a hassle to move my WSM out from its spot but I guess that's what I'll have to do. I've been using an oil drip pan but the thing has gotten warped and the front edge and corners are slightly up in the air and it doesn't drain collected water. I keep tripping over it.

The builders are pounding on the new deck as I write. The flooring is almost finished and they are going to begin the posts and railing today. We're using pressure-treated pine because we don't think we'll be in this house more than 10 years or so. We are having the top edges of the floor boards rounded and it's looking very nice. They had to spend a lot of time on the substructure because the deck is 25 feet off the ground. So far I'm very pleased with the work they have done.

I've been shopping for a grill mat for a while as well. My local Lowes has the exact same mat for $29.99 vs. Ace's price of $35. (Just an fyi.) Good luck with the deck, it sounds like a nice one!

Here's what I did after replacing my deck. I took some of the scrap deck boards and placed them under 18" X 18" Concrete pavers. This is the best shot I've got.

What are you cooking on in the pic? A WSM in the ball configuration??
icon_wink.gif

Keith, that's a good picture and a nice deck. First time I've ever seen a patio ON a deck, though! I'm assuming that you set up the "patio" every time you cook, then store the pavers between cooks?

Rita

Keith,

First post, and wanted to say, "great idea" with the child fence. That, and the nice rock collection on the railing in the background, indicates a need to keep inqusitive little people away from the HOT and dangerous cooker. I know I'll be looking for something similar asap.

Steve

Nope. Its ready for action 24 / 7. Its easy to pick up though when I want too. Just wrapped up an overnighter. 2 Butts and 21#'s of pork spares. (Had to use the wind screen last night!)

Originally posted by Steve B:
Keith,

First post, and wanted to say, "great idea" with the child fence. That, and the nice rock collection on the railing in the background, indicates a need to keep inqusitive little people away from the HOT and dangerous cooker. I know I'll be looking for something similar asap.

Steve

And one not so little Furry four legged inquisitive meat eater. Thanks. Those gates are the best. You can make them any length you want and you can fold them around anything. (They hold tools well too).

Back