Weber Handles mod. Why not? (photos)

Brandon A

TVWBB All-Star
Well I finally got everything together and got the time to do this mod, been wanting to get it done for awhile now. I had a friend at work (its nice to have access to a full fledged machine shop) make me brackets that fit the handles exactly. I did the bending/rounding of the tabs so they fit the curvature of the wsm. I also painted them with high temp paint. I ordered the weber handles, bought stainless nuts/bolts/washers to fasten the brackets to the wsm. I used 1/4 inch bolts, because I wanted to make sure it was good and sturdy. Getting the brackets right was quite a bit of work, but well worth it. Today I drilled the holes and installed the handles. And here are the results.

Edit: I rearranged my photobucket into albums, bear with me, I will redo the links.

This is my WSM with handles,
wsmmods001.jpg

a few more photos..,
side view
Handle detail
handle detail 2

wsmsmile8gm.gif

Brandon

Awesome detail, Brandon. If only you'd had a second set of brackets made, you could have sold them to me.

I did the same mod. I ended up making the handles removable so I can get the cover on. I'm going to work on new brackets that will hinge up for use and down for the cover.

MikeZ

Originally posted by Mike Zarecky:
I did the same mod. I ended up making the handles removable so I can get the cover on. I'm going to work on new brackets that will hinge up for use and down for the cover.

MikeZ

Mike,
I see where your going, will the handles lock in place in the up position somehow? Or just stop at a 90* when you lift with them? I havent used my cover since I bought mine, my wsm sits on my screened in patio. But I would like to see what you come up with/how you come out. I think this is a great idea for those worried about not being able to get their covers on after adding handles. Please post photos when you get the chance Mike
icon_cool.gif

Brandon

Brandon,
I think that they will just stop at 90 when you want to lift the center section or maybe have some resistance built in so they stay up when you want them up. Right now mine are on with wing nuts.
MikeZ

So, I read this several weeks ago, and thought it looks great--just like from the factory. However, not all of us have a buddy at a machine shop. So I was a little jealous...

But last night, while cooking on my Ranch Kettle, I realized that the handles on the lid are bolted on! I measured, and those factory handle brackets are 5 3/4" on center from bolt to bolt, while the WSM is 6" on center for the grill straps.

So, one could order the handles and brackets for an RK, then either drill the holes out a little, or bend a little wider, and vertically mount the handles on the straps. Or, drill the WSM and mount them horizontally just like Brandon.

Just wanted to throw this out there...Haven't done it yet myself, but will probably try it soon.....

Originally posted by doug ep:

But last night, while cooking on my Ranch Kettle, I realized that the handles on the lid are bolted on!

So, one could order the brackets then drill the WSM and mount them horizontally ....

Just wanted to throw this out there...Haven't done it yet myself, but will probably try it soon.....

Hey! you might just be on to something Doug. I've never seen the ranch kettle before, but if you can order a pre-fabricated (porcelin coated) bracket from weber then RIGHT ON! Please post some pictures if you do decide to order them and install...

I know I bent your words around, but if/when you order these brackets I encourage you to mount them horizontaly, JMO but I think you will love them.

P.S. I have a new mod. comming soon...to go with the stacker (if it ever comes)

Brandon

Originally posted by Brandon A:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by doug ep:

But last night, while cooking on my Ranch Kettle, I realized that the handles on the lid are bolted on!

So, one could order the brackets then drill the WSM and mount them horizontally ....

Hey! you might just be on to something Doug. I've never seen the ranch kettle before, but if you can order a pre-fabricated (porcelin coated) bracket from weber then RIGHT ON! Please post some pictures if you do decide to order them and install...

I know I bent your words around, but if/when you order these brackets I encourage you to mount them horizontaly, JMO but I think you will love them.

P.S. I have a new mod. comming soon...to go with the stacker (if it ever comes)

Brandon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good thinking, gentlemen.

Do it, Doug... and then please post pics. IMO, this is the best (if porcelain-coated) handle idea yet. Or, if someone will explain to me the model number info nonsense Weber requires for ordering...I'll be the guinea pig.

Well, they are actually bare steel, not porcelain coated. But we could coat in hitemp paint. View pic here

And, the parts list RK PDF for the RK shows them as part of the lid assembly, and not with a separate part # for ordering. So will probably require some sweet talking.

But I will do this asap, and let everyone know...

Probably stainless steel though, don't you think? Looks like you'll have an awesome handle set-up, Doug. I look forward to reading more on this as it progresses. Again, good catch!

From the photo it looks like the tabs are even slightly rounded, which was the hardest part of making the homemade ones fit. If they are stainless would you still paint them to match the top or leave them? The sweet talking might be the only hard part, especially when they start getting multiple calls a day
icon_wink.gif
"yeah I dropped my ranch kettle lid and broke both handles off" hehe....

Brandon

I cannot fathom Weber's Parts Dept. conservative mindset. Not enough parts to meet demand? Sounds like a good problem for a business to have. Surely, China would eagerly make more.

Harley doesn't care if the parts I buy from them (not many) end up on my Big Dog. What's the issue, Weber?

No, I've never called Weber. My remarks were based solely on hearsay; reading the experiences of others on this forum. Given that, I suppose my comments were out of line. Sorry to mislead you.

<---misled
icon_wink.gif
If you think its really worth it I may be able to have a few manufactured for you.... email me @ b_arickx@yahoo.com. My maintence man is a busy guy but maybe we can work something out?

Brandon

OK, guys, I have them.

First, please let's not all call Weber at once to obtain these. Let's try to be discrete about this, and spread the calls/inquiries out for a while. Please!!

Parts List: #83778 - Handle Steel Ranch Lid (2); #80652 - Hndl Set Of 2, CRVD Gold/Plat.

Mine came with a set of the 5/16" mounting hardware-bolts, metal and insulated washers, locknuts. But the WSM grill straps are 1/4", so there is a slight mismatch...

It was not difficult to obtain them. When they ask for a serial #, they are asking for the 2 digit date code from "your" Ranch Kettle.

Drilling the WSM and mounting these voids the warranty. I haven't mounted mine yet, but will do them vertically initially using the grill strap holes and bolts.

Good Luck.

Awesome score Doug! Did you have to pay for them or was it a warranty claim? If not what was the total cost for handles and shipping? And by date code you mean the code on the damper's right?

One more question, I noticed from the ranch kettle pdf above that the handles are the more "squareish" ones like I have on my smokey joe. Do the brackets also fit the more round handles that come on the wsm?

Brandon

Happily paid for them.
No shipping for me, I picked them up.
Yes, the date code on the damper. On "your" RK, it is on the bottom dampers, not on the lid vent.

The more round handles are the #80652 curved (CRVD) ones, while the #80642 (FLAT) are the slightly older (late 90s?) "squarish" ones. Both fit the same bracket, and even can replace the old wood handles.

The bracket is the same as the one on the top lid of the WSM. On the WSM and kettles, it is spot welded at the factory, before enameling. On the RK, it is bare steel (nonenameled), and bolted on.

Price is reasonable, should be under $25. Your price may vary...

PS: why not just order another middle section from Weber, instead of the ProQ Stacker? You could also get grill straps and racks. It's enameled the same color, the doors match, made in USA by Weber.....

Back