1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric

Fiery rub
1 teaspoon hot paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
cooking spray

To prepare the beef, combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl; toss well.
Cover and chill 3 hours.
To prepare fiery rub, combine 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, turmeric, and parsley.
Prepare grill.
Remove beef from bowl, discarding marinade. Thread beef onto each of 6 (10-inch) skewers.
Press fiery rub onto beef.
Place kebabs on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 6 minutes or until desired degree of doneness, turning once.

I made this last night after posting the recipe...I personally will OMIT the rub next time and maybe just press on the parsley. There was just too much rub....and it was just overpowering in taste and texture. Otherwise these were very good and a nice change from basic grilled steak!!

Dan, did you do these? What's your opinion...I am planning on doing them tomorrow night and want to know if I need to make any mods.

Try nixing the paprika and turmeric (it's only there to help mimic the color of an aji amarillo) and use a Peruvian aji amarillo instead. You could toast then grind it but for better flavor I'd likely reconstitute the chile and mash or purée it with the other marinade ingredients.

Parsley is widely used in Peruvian cuisine (a salsa of parsley puréed with olive oil, salt and fresh aji amarillos is a standard) so I would skip the rub but sprinkle generously with parsley for service.

Peruvian chiles, especially aji amarillos, are some of my very favorites. Try Sweet Freedom for aji amarillos and other Peruvian chilies. Availability at this time of year is questionable but see what's available and nab what you can. Winter (here) is a better time for availability.

You can also try ethnicgrocer.com for the aji amarillo. (Good stuff, and it lends a very authentically Peruvian vibe to this, especially if you go with beef heart, as is the original.)

I made this tonight with a few tweaks, loved it.

Didn't have hot paprika so added 1/4t cayenne pepper
used lamb tips instead of sirloin
marinated about 9 hours
threaded on skewer with peppers, onion and tomato. Served with pilaf, pita and tzatziki

As suggested I didn't add more rub, just a bunch of parsley before serving.

this is definitely going to be a go to meal

pic
0503122006.jpg

Kev

Back