1st Place pork steaks, 2nd place ribs

Arthur Aguirre

TVWBB Member
Hi all,

I entered my second amateur competition ever at the Crawford County Fair BBQ contest and did really well.

1st place in Pork Steaks...
porksteaks1-e1311091186153.jpg

2nd Place Ribs...
ribs2-e1311091238725.jpg

8th Place Chef's Choice (marinated skirt steak topped with a grilled peach caprese salad)
chefschoice-e1311094294975.jpg

My trophies and prizes...
awards-e1311091282492.jpg

My WSM and OTG kicked some butt. There were many smokers that cost thousands of dollars...we beat a lot of them...I love my Weber cookers.

However, we had a rough morning when my WSM fell off the trailer and suffered some damage.
wsm1-e1311107379165.jpg

wsm2-e1311107419228.jpg

They stilled performed like a champ at the contest!

Arthur, welcome and CONGRATULATIONS. Nice pics. Tell us more of the comp. How many teams, judging criteria, did you have fun. Any future comp plans?

Mark

Thanks mk,

There were only 3 categories in this comp...pork steaks (found in nearly all local amateur BBQ contests), ribs and Chef's Choice. The judges score on taste, tenderness and appearance.

This was only my second comp, the 1st being a backyard BBQ contest with no cooker costing more than $500 or custom cookers. So, this was a step up in competition. There were 15 teams, half of which were either a restaurant or catering business.

I had a lot more fun in my second outing because I learned what not to do in the first. I'm doing another backyard comp in September which is overlapping a KSBS comp going on at the same time. I hope to talk some Q with those teams too.

Congratulations Arthur, that's a great job. Pork Steaks at a BBQ comp.? Of course, it's the official meat of St. Louis and surrounding counties. Those look great.

Looks like I will be the first to say how sorry I am that your beautiful WSM is damaged.
icon_frown.gif

I kinda went, "Ho-Hum" when you said it worked just fine even though it suffered sooo much.
icon_wink.gif
icon_cool.gif

I knew it would be OK, they're very tough.

Thank you for the condolences Charles.

I felt sick to my stomach because she's only 2 months old and had only 4 smoking sessions out of her before she fell out of the trailer and dragged about 50 feet. The water pan is a little banged up and there are a few more scratches too, but the integrity of the smoker is sound.

Very tough indeed.

Fantastic result, Arthur! Congratulations - looks very well deserved, too! So sorry to see your WSM - oh, the indignity of being dragged.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Arthur Aguirre:
Thanks everybody...can't wait to do my next one in September. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which one of the 3 did you pick for Sept?
Watch out or you will be movin' into Sactioned events.

Mark

Back