"Steamed" Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Hart

TVWBB Member
Hi. I have a good amount experience with a off-set style smoker. I compete in most of the KCBS events held in the New England area. This weekend I picked up a WSM at my local hardware store (floor model for $149). I cooked some baby backs and a pork butt. After playing with the intakes for a good bit
I was able to get a fairly consistent 230 degrees. It was cold outside, ~ 35 degrees. I used hardwood charcoal and chunks of mesquite.

The problem I had is the 'Q came out tasting steamed. I was unable to get a nice "bark" on the pork butt. The ribs were OK for a first try. But again had somewhat of a steamed quality to them. Neither piece of meat had that dark color that I associate with good bbq.

Any ideas of what I could do differently?

Thanks,

Chris.

Hello, Chris. I have never had this problem; my butts always have a nice bark on them. I always rub them the night before, and I let them sit on the counter for an hour or so before putting them on. I never mop them until they have a good bark forming, usually about halfway through the cooking time. I try to keep the temp at the lid at 250-260. Could you give us more details on your technique?

Steve

I like to cook pork butt on the WSM without using water in the water pan. You might try this and see if you like the bark better. You will have to be careful in controlling your cooker temperature, since the lack of water will cause the WSM to run hotter.

Regards,
Chris

The technique I used included:
-I rubbed the meats with yellow mustard and a sugar based dry rub
-I let the meats come down to room temp
-I lit my fire and filled the water pan
-I filled the coal ring and the water pan to capacity
-I put my meats on well before the smoker was at temp. Ribs up top and Pork on the 2nd shelf.
-In the first 2 hours I had problems staying above 200. It was barely 35 degrees outside!
-After 3 hours I rotated my ribs and misted everything with apple juice
-I took the ribs off after 5 hours - They were OK.
-I misted the pork butt again, replenished water and fuel.
-I let the pork butt go another 3+ hours

I will try Chris' suggestion to not use any water next time. I have a Turkey brining at home, should I use water for the bird?

Thanks,

Chris.

Chris, Good idea to try it without the water. Especially when it's cold like that, the water in the pan acts like a big heat sink. If you want to use water in temps like that, bring it to a boil on the stove first and don't fill the pan more than half full.
When I did my turkey recently, I used water and ran the smoker between 250 and 275. If you can get to 300, I think many here recomend that.

Chris A, do you leave the water pan out, or just leave it empty?

[This message has been edited by Doug Wilbur (edited 10-30-2000).]

I wrap the pan in foil and put it in place to catch any drippings. Some will remove the pan altogether. If you do this, the drippings will hit the coals and create smokiness similar to grilling. Some like this, while others avoid it. You be the judge.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back