Cajun Bandit Rotisserie vs Weber for Performer

Joe V

TVWBB Fan
I'm ready to take the plunge on one of these rotisserie units.

They are comparably priced but are they comparable? Does one hold the advantage over the other?

if yer paying full pop then maybe the bandit. but weber units pop up on cl for much less. mt weber cooks just fine so not sure of any further needs. i think the air leakage problem is a non issue.

The Cajun Bandit is designed to fit a weber kettle with the ring sitting one way and a weber smokey mountain with the ring flipped over the other way if that is a consideration for you.

i was in the same boat this spring.

i waited quite a while for one on craigslist, finally i caved and ordered one from cajun bandit.

The same week that it was supposed to arrive, i found one on craigslist for 75 (used once or twice).

I bought it and used it twice before my bandit rotisserie arrived.

After comparing both, i kept the bandit and resold the weber one. The weber leaked a lot more air than the bandit and my charcoal banks kept flaring up even with the lid closed.

Plus the stainless ring looked better on my blue kettle than weber's black ring.

I have the SS Cajun Bandit kit. The motor is battery powered and leaves quite a bit to be desired. It works as advertised but I will be upgrading it. The SS ring was worth every penny.

Originally posted by Greg M.:
I have the SS Cajun Bandit kit. The motor is battery powered and leaves quite a bit to be desired. It works as advertised but I will be upgrading it. The SS ring was worth every penny.

I didn't know the Cajun motor was battery powered. In that case they aren't really comparably priced.

Do you know which rotisseries are compatible with the Cajun SS ring?

this is the motor that comes with the cajun bandit rotisserie.

i balked at it being battery powered as well, but the thing is strong.

when i did my first turkey it was really far off balance, well beyond what the counterweight would fix. it didn't have any problems.

I was nervous about my battery powered rotisserie as well until I used it. It's awesome. So much easier than fussing with a cord.

My concern with the battery driven motor is what happens to my meal if the batteries die mid-roast whole I'm not watching. Does it accomodate an optional AC adaptor?

I'm not sure which battery powered motor that comes with the Cajun Bandit, but I have 2 One Grill DC motors and have been using them for almost 2 years without any problems.

I have the Weber, EZ-Que and the Cajun Bandit rings and use them with the Rib-O-Lator and EZ-Que 6" & 8" cradles and the battery powered motors have never let me down-even use them at comps. carry extra D cell batteries for backup.

edit: I see Troy provided the link and these are the same ones I use-

I can see this is going to be an expensive forum to explore. I'm thinking about one of these too.

- are these two brands the only game in town or are there other brands to consider?

- I saw some posts on the advantages of cooking high heat with the rotis which would lead me to the kettle. Why is it interesting to be able to hook one of these up to a wsm? does low and slow with a rotis make better q?

- do these ever go on sale? took a quick look on cl, didn't see much.

tia,
jd

My DC motor has been great. I get many many hours off of 2 D Cell Batteries. If you are worried about it dying during mid cook then put new ones in before you start.

my batteries finally died today, after DOZENS of uses.

they didn't just "DIE" though...
there was a pretty simple warning as the rotisserie simply slowed down and sounded whiney.
it was still turning the eye or round roast, but it sounded weak.

IT ARRIVED!!!
DSCN6956.JPG

You'll see it in action from this weekend's cooks!!!
<span class="ev_code_GREY">I Can't WAIT to use it!!!</span>

well, the plan is two racks of baby backs... butt i'll try to figure out how to "attach" them to the spit.
One rack would be EZ to weave... butt two..
icon_confused.gif

We'll see.
Butt definitely baby backs.

Back