Is this a good wireless bridge for the Stoker?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RobM (YankeeRob):
... I would go with the Linksys WGA54G game adapter shown here:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R4...ksid=m38&_nkw=WGA54G

That's the one I use. Works both in ad-hoc and infrastructure so I can take it with me to comps.

-rob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rob,

I just bought a WGA54G and am having a bit of trouble with it.

I am using it in infrastructure mode to connect to my WAP54G. From your comment, I assume you have it working in that mode.

I get what appears to be a successful connection to the WAP54G after entering the necessary security parameters (both when connected to the net for configuration and when connected to the Stoker only). However, once it is wire to the Stoker, even though the wireless light is active, I cannot access either the Gaming adapter or the Stoker behind it.

Initially, I set the IP address of the WGA54G to the address that I had allocated for the Stoker (call it x.x.x.227). Nothing was accessible, so after searching about I found recommendations that I assign one address on the net for the WGA54G and another for the Stoker. I gave the WGA54G the address x.x.x.248.

No apparent change, no access to either. Neither pings nor address scans show either device (when connected to the Stoker).

Did you use two different addresses in this mode?

Did you do anything else that might not be obvious?

Thanks,

John Brisbin

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I found recommendations that I assign one address on the net for the WGA54G and another for the Stoker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's part of it....

The only time I use ad-hoc mode is when I am not at home - like at a contest where I don’t have internet access (not connecting to a router that has DHCP server). In this configuration there are 3 devices on the network. The Stoker, the WGA54G and a laptop. All of these devices are setup to use static IP addressing on the same network. They have to be static because there is no DHCP server (router) That means they are on the same class C network using the same netmask. Remember now though that all hosts on an IP network need to have a unique IP address but same netmask. Something like:
WGA54G: 192.168.2.100 mask 255.255.255.0
Stoker: 192.168.2.101 mask 255.255.255.0
Laptop: 192.168.2.102 mask 255.255.255.0

The only way I’ve found how to setup the WGA54G is to plug it into a laptop via Ethernet and either use the setup disk or by connecting to its onboard web server. Sounds to me in your setup you have 4 hosts:
WGA54G, Stoker, WAP54G and Laptop or other host.

Make sure all of these devices are on the same network with unique IP’s. Also make sure that the SSID and security settings of the WGA54G and WAP54G match and are both in the same mode (ad-hoc I assume). Connect or verify each device one at a time before attaching it to the network. Verify it by pinging it. If one device screws up the network when you plug it in chances are it has the same IP address as another device on the net. It's best to verify each address 1 by 1 if you can.

I don’t get why you are using a WAP54G. What this device does is creates a WiFi LAN out of an existing LAN. The existing LAN usually has a DHCP server that is part of your WAN router or larger network. If this is the case you should setup the WGA54G and WAP54G in infrastructure and set the stoker up for DHCP. The DHCP request from the stoker will be passed along by the WGA54G to the WAP54G then to your main DHCP server. You can then get to the IP address of the stoker on the panel or by going to your main router and looking at the DHCP client table.

When I am at home I set the WGA54G in infrastructure mode and have it connect up to my main LAN which is connected to the internet via WRT54G (router with DHCP running DD-WRT ;-}. The only time I’m using ad-hoc is when there is no DHCP (in the field at a contest).

Hope this makes sense.

-rob

I am not sure how I gave you the impression that I am in ad-hoc mode. I am not. I never anticipate using that mode.

I am in infrastructure mode (which is why I am using the WAP54G).

There are perhaps 25 IP devices on my home network using a dual ISP firewall that I configured. I am well versed in the fundamentals.

I realize that the attempt to use the same IP address for the WGA54G and the Stoker might seem to belie that, but bridge devices do not strictly need a unique address to function. And there is no hint in the linksys documentation because, perhaps, they assume much about game devices.

In any case, what light can you shed on your setup when operating in infrastructure mode?

I have an aversion to DHCP because so many devices support it so poorly (including the WGA54G which did not successfully get an address on my network, even though other devices do). Not to mention that it introduces a random element into what should be simple URLs. Yes, I could configure the DHCP server to always give that device the same address, but that is just the long way around to a static IP.

The WGA54G is a refurb (and maybe the wireless part does not really communicate). You never know.

Thanks.
John

25 devices???

Hmmm, when I think about it what I might have that's different is that I have the Stoker setup for a static addressing on my DHCP LAN. I have a reservation setup on the router for the stoker's MAC address so it always gets the same IP. This way I can insure that the static IP address I set on the stoker will never be used on my home LAN. It also means I don't need to change anything on the stoker if it's at home or on the field. Whe I leave for a contest all I need to do is change the mode of the WGA54G.

hope this helps,

rob

Yes, 25 devices. 8 in my office, 8 in the living room, 4 in the server closet and a few others scattered around the house.

The problem (now resolved) is the somewhat half-assed support of the WGA54G for WPA. WPA2 is the current standard (not yet compromised) but the WGA54G only supports the original WPA security protocol. The WAP54G supports a mixed mode that is supposed to allow both WPA and WPA2 devices to connect. The WGA54G can only connect to the WAP54G when it is in WEP or original WPA mode.

So, now I have to reduce security on my net somewhat to run the WGA54G, which is not ideal but I can live with it in the near term.

Thanks for the help, Rob.

Back