Braised Beef Goodness

Dan Krause

TVWBB Fan
Not done on the smoker but it turned out so well I thought I had to share.

I have never really cooked beef short ribs before, but after seeing these at the meat counter, I knew I had to give them a try.

Here is what I started with:
IMAG0400.jpg

I lightly coated them with a seasoned flour mix, browned them, and but in a braising liquid. In this case it was an 8 oz. can of tomato sauce, 4 oz of red wine (shiraz), approximately 8 oz. of beef stock, and 1 teaspoon of tomato paste. I threw in some sauteed mushrooms just for kicks.
Here it is just before it went into the oven at 350F.
IMAG0404.jpg

I cooked up some orzo and seasoned with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and freshly grated parmesan. I thickened the braising liquid to make a sauce with a little cornstarch. Added a some salt and fresh ground black pepper to the sauce to taste. Then pulled the meat off the bone and served it over the pasta with the sauce and a side of green beans.
IMAG0408.jpg

The pictures don't do it justice. The lemon juice in the orzo cut the fattiness of the meat very nicely. The sauce was very rich and had a lot of depth considering the simplicity of it. All in all this as a very repeatable dish and will be added to my recipe line up.

That looks delicious Dan. I really love beef short ribs. I've put a dry rub on em before and grilled em for about 5-6 hours indirect. They are one of my fav's. Gotta cook em long and slow, but great flavor. They're about $4 a lb here, so I watch when they clear em out at the discount bin for about $2 a lb., then it's grillen time.

Back