Weber Smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have been using a basic water smoker for about 3 years now. Love the results, hate the amount of work needed to cook briskets or pork shoulders. I am asking for some advice on if the Weber would make this job somewat easier before I put out some money to purchase one.

For me to make a pork shoulder, I have to start up the chimmey starter 3-4 times to add more charcoal, have to get rid of all the ashes that keep building up on the bottom of the charcoal pan and therefore clogging the airflow and just in general, too much work.

I believe in everything I have read on this site and know that Weber makes quality products (have a Weber Genesis 1000 that is going on year #8 or 9)but want to hear first hand from others on how they compare the Weber smoker to the other Brinkmanns, CharBroils etc... that are out there.

Also, can the wber be placed on a wooded deck while cooking or would the legs generate too much heat?

Thanks for the help, I'm looking forward to getting a better smoker without having to purchase an offset fire box type.

Mark W

Hi Mark,

While Im only on my second cook as we speak with a WSM,i have used a Brinkman for over 15 years,and while i will never throw my ole' Brinkman out,as it has served me well,you are comparing Geo's to Cadillacs here brother.

If you MUST cook on a deck,please use 4 18" patio bricks,or better still,fire bricks under the unit.

Spend the duce,you wont be dissapointed!

best wishes,
Theo B.

Mark
The difference in using a WSM is a 10-11 pound load of charcoal should be all you need for brisket or pork butt. The temp control is 1000% better, you will need to
check the water pan every 3 to 4 hours but
this cooker is as good as advertised.
Read Chris's site for fireup methods and tech
and you will enjoy Q'n even more than before.
Jim

Hi Mark,

I'll let others sing the praises of the WSM; I think I've already done that enough in the cooking topics I've posted on the Web site. OK, I can't resist saying this...over Labor Day I cooked two 11 lb whole briskets for 13 hours (from 12:30am to 1:30pm) using a single load of charcoal. The WSM maintained 225-250*F the whole time...and I got a good night's sleep, too. Awesome.

Anyway, regarding cooking on a wooden deck, the legs themselves don't get hot, but the charcoal bowl will. The real problem is you can get some liquid smoke & grease leaking out of the bottom air vents on occasion which may stain your deck.

In some of the pictures I've posted on the Web site you'll notice that I use a very large oil pan, the kind you put under your car in the garage. This works great to protect the surface below, catch any drips, gives you a place to set down the lid when removed, and cleans up easily with a blast of the garden hose.

Good luck in your decision process,
Chris

Mark, get the WSM. I cooked on the ECB for about 4 years. I would only cook 3-4 times a year because it was such a pain. I bought my WSM this spring, and I have already used it 7 or 8 times. It is almost "set it and forget it". Once I get a stable temp, I check it every hour or so. Most of the time, I don't have to do anything. Sometimes I have to crack a vent open a little more or close one a little. You can get 12+ hours on a single load of charcoal.

I could go on, but I think you get the point. As Jim said, look around this site, lots of good info here. Also, I cook on a carpeted deck and haven't had a problem. I think you would be fine on a wood deck. The charcoal pan doesn't have any holes where hot ash would come out, though it does have vents.

Good luck,
Doug

Go with Chris's drip tray idea unless you want grease spots all over your deck.

Been there, believe me.

I also bought a second tray . I use it for the chimney at the outset . Once I'm cooking, I place it on the patio table with two bricks on top...spaced apropriately... which gives me a nice place to sit the top rack when I'm turning and basting the items on the bottom rack. Not so messy.

2 trays = $ 12.00 total well worth it.

Steve in Mpls

go for the weber you won't be sorry you did I had a off set but sense the weber I don't use it anymore. JOE

Good afternoon Mark...hope I'm not to late to try and influence your smoker decision. Several months ago, I went on a search for the world's greatest smoker having had many years worth of experiences as you describe. I spent countless hours of my personal and my employer's time until I discovered that there are probably only two real smokers to choose from. One (whose name I won't mention but whose color is green) while touted as the best was much too expensive for my wife's budget! The other was the Weber. Like others who have commented, I look forward to my weekends now if for nothing else than to use my WSM so that I and my family can enjoy some of the best food going! I too hated to 'stand-by-my-smoker' enjoying rather to dip-in-my-pool'. I can honestly state to you that with the Weber, I have had the best of both worlds....good luck in your search and by the way, you've come to the right place to ask advice...these same guys were the straw-on-the-camel's-back that pushed me over to the Weber side.....John

Jim,

My guess is that he stole it. He's from that part of town ya know.

Steve in Mpls

For deck protection I use a 2' x 2' square of Hardee tilebacker. It's only 1/4" thick, light, waterproof, non-flamable, and cheap. Available at home centers, can be cut with knife.

This winter I might hinge some together for a weather sheild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back