Maverick Remote-Check ET-7 Wireless Thermometer with 2 Probes

If it's this one you're speaking of:

download the pdf (manual)

-see if it says it's water proof or resistant, my Et-73 says water proof, if it's not make sure you put the transmitter in a ziplock bag or something to protect it (it's a good idea with the et-73 anyway, ask LarryR)

-check the temp range and make sure it will work for your planned use, on the et-73 the range is different for the smoker and the food

Overall we've had a number of issues with et-73, dunno how the et-7 will fare. With the et-73 it's kind of a crapshoot, if you get one that works well great, if not keep sending it back until you do. They are cheap, and well, they are cheap. I'm having a hard time endorsing one any more but if you have no issues with the one you get it's probably the best bang for your buck.

Thanks Shawn,

I am going to wait until I can get a good one then. I am enjoying everything too much to mess with something that seems like it will add work to the smoke.

I went ahead and ordered the Themapen and a gauge for my WSM, so that should be enough for now. If anything, I will probably order some books before anything else.

Again, thank you and it just saves me the hassle you have gone through.

Last year I bought an ET-7 which has been gathering dust. I plan on using it for the first time on my WSM on Christmas Eve. According to the ET-7 Instructions, this unit IS NOT waterproof. Question, can the probe sensor wires be placed under the WSM lid or is it better to place it through the WSM door?

Richard

WSM, OTG 22 1/2" with Smokenator

I have 2 ET-73s. I use them off and on and they work great. The only problem with the first one was that I got it water logged. I had to let it dry out for a week then it worked fine. I bought them about a year apart.

The down side is the distance isn't as far as they say. For me the distance is good enough.

Originally posted by richard garcia:
Last year I bought an ET-7 which has been gathering dust. I plan on using it for the first time on my WSM on Christmas Eve. According to the ET-7 Instructions, this unit IS NOT waterproof. Question, can the probe sensor wires be placed under the WSM lid or is it better to place it through the WSM door?

Richard

I would put them under the lid, gently, rather than through the door. A lot of us have Guru Eyelets to run the probes through.

It's a nifty little rivet I guess you'd say, with a hole in it that you use to run probes through.

Originally posted by Shawn W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by richard garcia:

Richard

I would put them under the lid, gently, rather than through the door. A lot of us have Guru Eyelets to run the probes through.

It's a nifty little rivet I guess you'd say, with a hole in it that you use to run probes through. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I have the Guru eyelets on both of my WSMs and for some reason never use them! LOL

For what it's worth, if anyone ever has an ET-73 or similar electronic device get wet, put it in the refrigerator for 24 hours. The dehumidifier in the fridge will dry out the device. This has worked with a cell phone that was dropped in a bucket of water!

You can also just run the probe wires down through the top vent.

If it starts looking like rain just put a ziploc bag over the ET-7 and 'zip' it untill you have just enough opening for the wires.

Originally posted by Shawn W:
If it's this one you're speaking of:

download the pdf (manual)

-see if it says it's water proof or resistant, my Et-73 says water proof, if it's not make sure you put the transmitter in a ziplock bag or something to protect it (it's a good idea with the et-73 anyway, ask LarryR)

-check the temp range and make sure it will work for your planned use, on the et-73 the range is different for the smoker and the food

Overall we've had a number of issues with et-73, dunno how the et-7 will fare. With the et-73 it's kind of a crapshoot, if you get one that works well great, if not keep sending it back until you do. They are cheap, and well, they are cheap. I'm having a hard time endorsing one any more but if you have no issues with the one you get it's probably the best bang for your buck.

Used my Maverick ET-7 yesterday for the first time on a six(6) hour turkey cook on my WSM and it worked like a charm. I used one probe to monitor the temperature of the Turkey and the other to monitor how hot my WSM was at the grill.

Richard

Richard,

You mention with your ET-7 you monitored the turkey "and the other to monitor how hot my WSM was at the grill." I just purchased a ET-7 how do you monitor the grill temp with the maverick? Thanks

--Dan

in case he doesn't reply back (looks like an older post) I think he meant to say he measured the turkey's temperature, (internal) and at the same time measured his cookers holding temperature, at the GRATE (instead of grill), meaning where his turkey was sitting.
I don't know but it sounds like a unit w/ an available second channel, meaning he can probably run to remote probes, to one base station. hope that makes sense and hope im not wrong.
The maverick I have I only have one remote probe, perhaps you too? I have a "NU-Temp" brand w/ two remote probes, and use it similarly to what you read above. hope this helps.

Dan

I got a ET-7 for Christmas and have had no problems with it so far after several cooks.

It comes with two probes to attach to the transmitter unit. I also use it to monitor the meat with one probe and stick the other probe all the way through a 1" chunk of potatoe to monitor the cooker temp at the grate as you can see in this pic

Just an FYI. The ET-7 is sold to monitor 2 meats and does not have a low temp alarm for the cooker temp.(or if it does I haven't figured it out yet) If I had known that at the time I would have asked Santa for a different thermometer. But it works great for me so far but I haven't done a overnight cook yet where I would want the low temp alarm.

PS. How do you like your 22.5" cooker?

Originally posted by Dan Wright:
Richard,

You mention with your ET-7 you monitored the turkey "and the other to monitor how hot my WSM was at the grill." I just purchased a ET-7 how do you monitor the grill temp with the maverick? Thanks

Dan Wright: Dan H´s message to you is right on. Sorry for the confusion, but last Christmas Eve was the first time I used my WSM and my Maverick ET-7. The ET-7 comes with two(2) probes which connects to the remote transmitter which is wireless. I put one in the turkey(12lbs) and the other I stuck through a hole in a piece of mesquite wood and placed it along side the turkey at grate level. I used only the top grate and did use the WSM water pan filled with hot tap water and only used Kingsford Briquetes. I was able to maintain a internal temperature inside my WSM between 240-270F.

As an update, I did use my WSM and the "Maverick" for the 2nd time last week to smoke some chicken thighs and had the same great results. This time I only used one probe which was placed again at top grate level through the same piece of Mesquite wood in order to monitor the temperature inside of the WSM. Oh, this time I used mostly Costa Rican lump charcoal and a few Kingsford briquetes because Kingsford costs over $10.00 for a 10lb bag in Costa Rica. I used the #10 Can method to set up my burn as explained on this Website, i.e., Placed my #10 can in the middle of the WSM charcoal grate, filled the ring around the #10 can 3/4´s full of lump charcoal and then lit my Weber chiminey 1/2 full of Kingsford for a 4 hour cook. I then dumped the lit Kingford inside the #10 Can and then pulled out the #10 can immediately with a pair of pliers. I even had enough charcoal left over for my cook last night on my OTG in which I grilled some steaks! The chicken thighs were smoked to my wife´s approval and life is good here in Costa Rica!

Richard

WSM, OTG 22 1/2 with Smokenator

--Dan

Thanks Richard and Dan. I will try the temp at the grate next time. Great idea.

T Cooper, I love my 22.5. I did a 7 pound butt yesterday man o man was it juicy and tender.

--Dan

Back