Le Creuset

Dave Hutson

TVWBB Super Fan
Anybody else a fan of their stuff? We have an outlet near us (Grove City, Pa.) and I am a HUGE fan of their pans! Cast iron, without the maintenance! Lasts forever with proper care. It costs an arm and leg, but is well worth it IMHO! I have 4 pieces. Problem is, they are all different colors! Maybe the best cookware I own.

I have a number of pieces as well - great stuff - it does last forever and you can often find this on sale as houseware/cookware businesses are prone to failure - my mother has Le Creuset that is over 45 years old that is still going strong so the investment is returned.

Between that and my many Lodge cast iron pieces and a few high quality All-Clad and Calphalon stainless steel stock and large pasta pots I am all set
icon_smile.gif

My mom raised me on steaks and burgers fried out of a Le Creuset. That skillet must weigh a solid 12 pounds.

I'd kill to have one of their cast iron oval bakers to make some of that no-knead bread that is rumored to be awesome. But shelling out $250 for one? Ouch!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan Wicker:
My mom raised me on steaks and burgers fried out of a Le Creuset. That skillet must weigh a solid 12 pounds.

I'd kill to have one of their cast iron oval bakers to make some of that no-knead bread that is rumored to be awesome. But shelling out $250 for one? Ouch! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got my large cast iron oval baker for $80 on sale
icon_smile.gif

I saw a 7qt Le Creuset DO in orange for $150 at TJ Maxx. I would definitely love to have one, but cant shell out that much right now. I think they had one of the Oval 3qts for $90.

They are seconds, but is there any huge difference? I didn't really see any when I briefly looked over the pieces. I was wondering the same with the All-Clad that is discounted in these types of stores?

I purchased my Le Creuset pot back in 06 on amazon. I got it first to do Keri's beans. But I knew I could do a lot more with it.

IIRC, it's 13 quarts. Definitely their largest round pot, I think I paid $189 for it. I think it's going for pretty much close to 3 bills now.

I got a 7 quart Dutch Oven from Amazon's friday sale a couple years ago for $140 and it included a free grill pan as part of the deal. I've got a few other pieces of Le Creuset and like them all.

I'm also a Big Fan of Le Creuset! I have three pieces Dijon 5qt Oval,Sun Burst 7 1/4 Round, and a Dune 9 1/2qt Oval!

Le Creuset definitely rocks. I have the 6.5 qt dutch oven and another smaller casserole dish. I do have one of the Lodge porcelain coated casserole and it is also a quality piece. Time will tell.

I also have a Le Creuset ceramic roaster that is a nice piece as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Hutson:
Tom, what does a Gator have to do with Tenessee anyway???????? You need to get a picture of a "Volunteer......." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, that ain't a Florida Gator... it's a Looziana Gator from the swamps...

Plus... what's a Grumpy Volunteer look like? Wouldn't go with my GrumpyGator website. LOL!

Got one by Mario Batali off of Amazon a year or so ago, nice quality, 6 qt for about $80...does a great job on no-knead bread...love that stuff.

Just saw that CI did a review.

I picked up a grill pan a few year back. I used it on the highest setting on my stove. after a bit of use I noticed the enamel on the bottom had fine cracks in it and actually some had flaked off. I later read that they suggest against high heat. I'm wondering if it was the high heat or a combo high heat then cold sink water. at least I trashed a 30 dollar grill pan that's only enameled for looks.

I had a full set of COPCO enameled cast iron in a past life. Actually in the mid 70's I believe. Le Creuset then was the "high end" but Copco was excellent quality as well. Nice handles, heavy enamel coating, etc.

Don't think I'd buy the Copco now. The quality doesn't appear to be there anymore. I have one piece left from that set, a 12" enameled skillet pan that is still working great. This one had a very nice wooden handle.

I don't use enameled cast iron these days. I prefer the vintage uncoated cast iron (I have all Griswold). I think it can take more abuse, actually cleans easier and is frankly lighter.

The care required for straight (vintage) cast iron versus enameled is a wash IMHO.

But that La Creuset is really beautiful and versatile. They seem to have maintained the product quality. If I were in the market for a set of enameled CI that's what I would get.

Back