Pork Belly Confit

Gerry D.

TVWBB Pro
I was watching "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" last night and one of the dishes featured was pork belly confit. They said it was cured for 4 hours and then braised in olive oil for 10 hours. Anyone ever make this before? Would it be worth the effort or should I just save my pork bellies for bacon?

I thought it sounded familiar...DUH! I didn't realize that they have a recipe for pork belly confit in Charcuterie. I must have been focused on one thing in my first read through...BACON!

For the dry cure
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
3 bay leaves, crumbled
10 sprigs fresh thyme
4 tablespoons Morton’s kosher salt
1 teaspoon pink salt

6 pounds pork belly, skin removed and cut into 1-by-3-inch chunks
Dry white wine as needed
Rendered pork or duck fat as needed
Canola oil or rendered pork or duck fat for deep-frying

Directions
1. Combine all the cure ingredients in a bowl and stir to distribute the seasonings evenly.

2. Toss the pork with the cure to coat evenly. Pack into a nonreactive container and cover with white wine. Cover and refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours.

3. Preheat the oven to 250°F (120°C). Remove the pork from the cure and pat the pieces dry with paper towels. Place the pork in an ovenproof pot or Dutch oven and cover with the rendered fat. Bring to a simmer on the stovetop, then place in the oven, uncovered, and cook until the pork is fork-tender, about 2 to 3 hours.

4. Remove the pork from the oven and cool to room temperature in the fat. If you simply can’t wait to eat this succulent bundle when it has finished its confit (we highly recommend chilling all confit, which intensifies the juicy tenderness of the meat), you can pour off and reserve the fat, then return the pan to the stovetop over high heat until the meat is nicely browned. If you have the stamina to wait, refrigerate the pork in the pan it was cooked in or transfer to another container and add the fat; the pork should be completely submerged in fat. Refrigerate until completely chilled, or for up to 2 months.

6. To serve, remove the pork from the refrigerator, preferably a few hours ahead. Remove the pork from the fat and wipe off the excess. In a deep, heavy pot, heat the oil for deep-frying to 350°F to 375°F (175°C to 190°C). Deep-fry the pork belly until crispy and heated through, about 2 minutes if it was at room temperature. Remove and drain on paper towels.

Recipe © 2005 by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn. All rights reserved.

I made something similar, you can read about it here.

The way I look at it, is that the entire belly is not suitable for bacon. I try to come up with creative ways to use the thick end. You can have your bacon AND your belly confit.

T. Keller has a recipe for pork belly confit in Ad Hoc At Home:

Phase 1 - Preparing the Brine:

* 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
* 12 bay leaves
* 3 large rosemary sprigs
* 1/2 bunch thyme (about 10 sprigs)
* 1/2 bunch (about 10 stems) flat-leaf parsley
* 1/2 cup garlic cloves (crushed, skin left on)
* 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
* 1 cup kosher salt, preferably Diamond Crystal
* 8 cups water

Combine all the ingredients in a large pot, cover and bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring to dissolve the salt. Remove from the heat and cool completely, then chill before using. The brine can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.

Phase 2 - Cooking the Pork:

* Pork Brine (Cold)
* 1kg slab pork belly with skin
* About 6 cups lard
* Canola Oil
* Gray salt or coarse sea salt

Pour the brine into a container large enough to hold the pork belly and add the pork, Refrigerate for 10 hours (no longer, or the pork may become too salty)

Remove the pork belly (discard the brine) and rinse under cold water. Pat dry with paper towels, or let air-dry.

Preheat the oven to 90C.

Choose an ovenproof pot, such as a 12-quart Dutch oven, that is only slightly larger than the pork belly and has a lid; the pot should be just large enough that the pork will be surrounded by the lard. Put the belly in the pot and cover with the lard; the lard should cover the pork by 1/2 to 3/4 inch.

Heat the pot over low heat until the lard registers 88C. Cover, transfer to the oven and cook until the pork is meltingly tender; this will probably take 5.5 to 6 hours, but start checking after 4 hours. As the belly cooks, it will lose fat and shrink; it is best to transfer the meat and fat to a smaller pot, always keeping the belly covered by fat. Remove the pot from the oven and let cool to room temperature.

The belly can simply be refrigerated in its fat, but we prefer to press it to compress the internal layers of connective tissue and force out the excess fat, resulting in a better texture and appearance. To press it, transfer it to a deep baking dish. Pour enough fat into the dish to just cover the belly. Cover with plastic wrap, top with a smaller baking dish and weight it down with a brick or large can. Refrigerate for at least 12 hours; reserve the extra fat.

Once it's been pressed, the pork belly can be refrigerated, covered by fat (add some of the reserved fat if necessary), for up to 1 week.

To serve, remove the pot from the refrigerator and let sit in a warm spot to soften the fat for 2 to 3 hours. Your want to soften the fat enough so you can scrape it from the belly while keeping the belly as cold as possible so it will be easier to slice.

Remove the pork belly from the fat, and wipe off any cooking fat that clings to the meat. Remove the skin and score the fat on the belly in a crosshatch pattern. The belly can be cut into any shape. Slice it or cut it into squares, and let sit at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before sauteing. (The fat can be reused to confit pork belly several more times as long as it does not taste too salty. Pour it into a pot and heat gently to liquefy, then strain through a find-mesh conical strainer into storage container. Refrigerate for up to 2 months or freeze for up to 6 months.)

Preheat the oven to 175C

Heat some canola oil in a large oven proof frying pan over medium-high heat just until smoking. Put the pieces of belly fat-side-down in the skillet, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook until the excess fat is rendered and the fat side is browned, about 18 minutes; pour off excess fat about halfway through the cooking.

When the pork is browned, transfer the pan to the oven to heat through, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with gray salt, and serve.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
I made something similar, you can read about it here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I must have missed that post. When you cooked the pork sous vide did you add and fat or was it just the pork itself in the package? I have been reading a lot about confit latelt and form what I have read sous vide is the way to go when making confit since you don't have to use as much fat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I must have missed that post. When you cooked the pork sous vide did you add and fat or was it just the pork itself in the package? I have been reading a lot about confit latelt and form what I have read sous vide is the way to go when making confit since you don't have to use as much fat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did not add any extra fat. Could be naivety, but I didn't see the point.

I did the belly in the bags because I was planning on freezing it for later use. It made sense to bag it first.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> What other uses are there for the pork belly confit other than frying it up? I'm thinking cassoulet.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

once you confit it, it gets nice and tender. At that point, it can be reheated and added to just about anything.

There's a couple of good uses listed in the Momofuku book, you might have seen them in my link above, if not I'll repost them here since they are important to the discussion:

pork buns

pork belly ssam

they also recommend serving belly with this ramen dish but I made more buns and didn't want my heart to explode with more belly

Thanks for all of the info J. Getting hungry just thinking about it. What is an inexpensive sous vide set up? Sous vide has been popping up a lot lately and its a technique that I would really like to have in the arsenal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What is an inexpensive sous vide set up? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your oven. Mine on its lowest setting seems about perfect for confit. Make sure your pot of water is at temp before putting it in the oven.

Sous vide is about precision so there really aren't cheap options.

There are some PID controllers (sous vide magic) that work with rice cookers that are pretty cheap, but for what you get (small capacity, rough control) don't seem worth the money.

A company (sous vide supreme) is trying to market the "water oven" for average households. Its a bit of a price jump from the PID/rice cooker route and you get a bit more precision and a tad more capacity.

There's a guy on the web who put together a DIY thermocirculator thats look's pretty slick. He slapped together a PID, some submersible heating coils, and an aquarium pump for a nice price. I was thinking of making one, but I have some reservations.

The sad fact is that a mere few years ago, no one knew what sous vide was nor the value of lab grade thermocirculators. There's plenty of stories of curious cooks snagging them on ebay for next to nothing. Now, we can't be so lucky.

I was just asked by my in-laws if there was anything I'd like for my birthday, and since I had to return their xmas gift, I was figuring I could parlay this into something nice (if my wife kicked in the rest). So I look up the sous vide supreme, which I hadn't had since it was first announced. It received great reviews. And, they came out with a $300 that's a tad smaller and isn't stainless. I'm thinking it might be the way to go.

I did some more research and the auber PID controller combined with the adcraft fw-1200w steam table looks tempting. It should work out to be a hair cheaper that supreme demi, have a much larger capacity, and may have better precision.

I've been fooling with a old analog controlled lab water bath with some success. Despite having the heater plates evenly distributed on the underside of the tank there is definitely a need for some circulation. Tried a couple of air-stones in opposite corners. Helped tremendously.
Also, I'd want to check out what the maximum operating temp on the Adcraft is... Some of those devices have a fairly low cut-off.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">J - do you think you would also need to add circulation somehow with this cavity size? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Also, I'd want to check out what the maximum operating temp on the Adcraft is... Some of those devices have a fairly low cut-off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The food warmer is one of the recommended devices for the deluxe sous vide controller, so I'd assume it would work. Its listed as a food warmer/steam table so it must be able to boil water.

link to recommended devices

I've read that units with a bottom heating element create enough of a convection on their own to not require additional circulation. The SV Supreme does not have circulation.

Of course, that's what I read. Marc, you have practical experience, so I'll trust you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've read that units with a bottom heating element create enough of a convection on their own to not require additional circulation </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Me too! With this device I was getting anything from two to four degrees (c) variation depending upon the depth and position. Would think it would be worse with the food added.
icon_frown.gif

Do really like the looks of that Adcraft unit. Have to check into that.

I pulled the trigger on this unit today. $83 with no tax and no shipping. It seems to be exactly the same as the recommended adcraft unit, but the cheapest I could find that was over $100. I'd be willing to bet both come units come out of the same plant in china, and just have a different brand label slapped on.

It might be a few weeks before I order the PID controller.

Nice - I agree on the thought that they are probably sourced from the same mfg. Anxious to see how you make out with your set up! I think this is the best of all the self assembled systems I've seen so far. Like the physical size and shape. Especially interested to see how well this works without circulation of some sort.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Especially interested to see how well this works without circulation of some sort. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm planning on using a bubbler. but I have time to play with it, since it should be delivered a good month before the PID comes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I pulled the trigger on this unit today. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I received it mid week, but didn't get to test it until this morning. I filled it with 4 gal of hot tap water and just using the rheostat, I took some temp readings. There are numbers on the dial, these were the temps:

1 = 102*
2 = 118*
3 = 129*
4 = 160*
5 = ?
6 = ?

I stopped running it at 4 because I had to leave the house, and I was just checking to see if it could get to 180* (confit requires 170-180*).

I didn't use a bubbler, and temps seemed fairly uniform top to bottom and side to side.

My next experiment will be to see if it will hold a constant temp, just using the rheostat. It seemed like it was locked in at each temp, so now it'll be a matter of seeing if it will lock in at a temp I want, and I can get some sous vide done before I get the PID.

In terms of DIY sous vide, I see a big plus with this unit: its a standard size. I didn't even need to buy any accessories. I have a lid off of a cambro bin that fits on it, and I have sheet pan sized wire racks that I can use to keep bags off the bottom and fully submerged. I haven't tried yet, but I'll bet I can get my rib rack in it to keep the bags apart.

for 80 bucks, I don't know why I waited.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">have sheet pan sized wire racks that I can use to keep bags off the bottom and fully submerged. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Love that idea. This is sounding very promising. So when do we know if it goes to the magic (180) number ? That was always my concern. Kinda a too good to be true situation.
When I was exp. with my lab bath: it did not like to have a lid on it. With the analog control the temp swings were much wider and problematic. A setting that was close to target without the lid was completely inappropriate with the lid. Very frustrating. "Theoretically", with the PID, it will be moot and be able to compensate.
Since were so off topic here, with the next review, maybe a new thread?

Back