Options for 22.5 Kettle CI Grate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Gorey

Hello all.

I am looking for advice from the forum members on what cast iron grate options are available to us for grilling on a Weber kettle. I have gotten to the point where I am using my Performer at least two or three times a week and would like to upgrade my grate to CI.

I am considering buying a Weber 22.5 replacement grate and cutting out a section to put in PCI grate from a Weber gasser, but want to know if there is an easier way. Does anyone sell a round CI grate that will fit the 22.5 Kettle without mods?

I contacted Weber and they do not sell the 22.5 grate with the griddle-cut out any longer.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Search the posts here. This has been talked about before. If I recall, if you can't get the cut-out grate, you can drop a Genesis PCI replacement grate on top of your regular rack.

Also, in the new BBQU shows, Raichlen uses his tuscan grill on top of the regular grate.

Here are a number of links to threads that discuss the CI insert and the cut-out grate. I think you may be stuck buying a PCI grate from HD for a Genesis and using it on top of the grate on your kettle.

Paul

Paul -

Thanks for the help. I read thru all of the posts and went ahead and purchased a pair of CI grates from HD as you suggested.

I went with the two-pack of CI grates from Char-Broil. I like the fact that you get two different sizes and that they are reversible for grilling and searing. I will season them up and break them in this weekend.

I have both the original CI grate designed for the kettle, and the PCI for the genisis available at HD. IMO it is a lot easier add a PCI to your standard grate, and remove at will. Maintenance is easier as well.

Q'n, Golf'n and Grill'n.... too many choices!
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back