WSM Stacker Video from FredsMusicandBBQ

do you think that the lid, which appeared to 'close' down and AROUND the unit, would leak stuff out onto the stacker, being that the original setup design fits inside, probably to prevent that? ....i really like it but that little door looks a little 'off' to me too. that last bbq toy I bought didn't go so well, but i like that stacker. what do you think?

Let you know soon. I'm going up to Fred's to pick mine up tomorrow! Told him not to ship mine when they came in since I want to visit the store. Also going to check out the BGE round CI grates and maybe pick one up if they look good.

I agree. You've got to give credit to a company that's willing to put its money on the line and move the state of the art forward with these smokers. It is kind of disappointing, though, that they missed the mark so badly with the way the lid fits over the outside of the Stacker.

Watched both Chris's and Fred's videos. Does anybody think that they'll make the change in the newer units? It seems to me that it would be rather expensive to redo the section. Does the same section fit their Pro Q ??? If it does that would mean a complete redesign for that unit also. It may be one of those "live with" issues. As Chris said it seems a shame that a company would put this out with the best intentions and still miss the mark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Watched both Chris's and Fred's videos. Does anybody think that they'll make the change in the newer units? It seems to me that it would be rather expensive to redo the section. Does the same section fit their Pro Q ??? If it does that would mean a complete redesign for that unit also. It may be one of those "live with" issues. As Chris said it seems a shame that a company would put this out with the best intentions and still miss the mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are separate stacker products for the Pro Q smokers and the WSM. So no - the WSM stacker is not used on ProQ models.

Not a bad product. I don't know why they didn't make the door bigger, or just leave it out.

Larger non metal handles would have been nice. Especially ones that don't lay next to the hot body of the smoker.

And I think everyone agrees that the lip should be on the inside, not the outside.

Dear Chris,
Thanks you for taking the time and making the effort to review the WSM
Stacker. I have long admired your commitment to the Weber users (and the
general BBQ public), your website is a mine of information, not only for
Weber users, but for those that use other products too.
I found your review to be very well composed, highly informative and for the
most part fair, I would however like to take up a few of the points
mentioned and hopefully enlighten users as to why the WSM Stacker is
designed the way it is...
1. The fitting of the original lid on the outside - "I think the design
misses the mark. It would have been just about perfect if only they had
duplicated the detail at the top of the WSM middle section so the lid goes
on the inside, not the outside." As I am sure you are well aware, one of the
major complaints, by WSM users (I have one too) is that because of the way
the original lid and body fit together the unit fills up with water very
quickly when using it in the rain. I did not want to double the water
intake, as being based in the UK, most of our cooking is done in rainy
weather, so therefore it did not seem like a great idea to duplicate the
detail at the top of the original. I much prefer to have a few runs of
condensation on the outside (easily cleaned off), as opposed to my cooker
turning into a bath.

2. Tightness of Lid - The lid is designed to be tight fitting and a light
coating of Olive Oil before use is all that is required to prevent it
getting stuck. In order to convey this to the user, I will be instructing
the factory to put a note in to each unit to advise users of this simple
remedy.

3. Handles - As the WSM Stacker is designed for use on top of the original
body, you will find, when cooking on the WSM, that the handles do not get
unbearably hot, however it is recommended (by both Weber and ProBBQ) that
mitts be used when handling a cooker. I do believe that the handles could be
improved upon, but how far does one go, before making them too complicated?
I really think it is better to have handles than no handles at all.

As a matter of interest, I have had several units on test, around the globe,
for over a year, prior to launching the WSM Stacker and none of the users
have complained about the points you raise, however, as many users of ProQ
Products will attest, we do take on board what people suggest for
improvements and where feasible include the upgrades in the next production.

Once again, I thank you for your valued input and service to the BBQ
community.

Kindest regards

Ian McKend
Managing Director
ProBBQ Ltd

Ian,

Thanks for your post.

As you know, it's a violation of bulletin board terms of service to post messages that promote one's own product, but I'm going to bend the rules since your message offers a valuable response to my video review. In the future, I would kindly ask that you not post messages about your product, but you are welcome to post messages on any other topic, of course. I hope you understand.
icon_smile.gif

I understand your point about water infiltration, but I have the opposite view. Water infiltration can be prevented by sealing the cover, or covering with a large plastic garbage bag, or moving the cooker to a sheltered location out of the rain. The mess running down the outside of the cooker, however, is something I'd prefer not to deal with. I'm surprised you've had no complaints about it...one of the first photos posted here on the BB was from someone with a big, black drip running down the side. So on this point, we will have to agree to disagree. It is true, however, that I live in a place that gets 14 inches of rain each year, so I might have a different opinion if I lived in the UK. Maybe some of our friends in Oregon or Washington that get lots of rain can offer a better opinion than I can.

Regarding the handles, maybe a handle that can flip up and stay up?

As I've said elsewhere in this or another thread (I can't remember), it's great to see a company take the initiative to move the "state of the art" forward with metal vertical smokers, so all due congratulations to you and your company for doing so.

Regards,
Chris

I noticed in Fred's video he edited out the part where you remove the lid. I assume he didn't want his future customers to know there is a flaw in the design. Cris had no interest in the product and showed everything.

I would be interested to know if it is coated or painted. Ian didn't address that question so I assume it is not porcelain coated. Has anyone determined this yet?

That said, I am not sure I can live with the sticky lid; having to apply oil is another step that a different design could have avoided.

Thanks to all for the coverage here. If anyone has cooking experiences they would share, I would appreciate hearing.
Tom

Hey Chris, do you think you or perhaps someone on the forum could make a how to video showing the ProQ mod, where the stacker is on the bottom?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Burrus:
I would be interested to know if it is coated or painted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I scratched a spot of finish off mine, and it's not porcelain enamel coated. I will updated this in the video.

Regards,
Chris

For the rain issue, we get tonnes here, I live in a rain forest. I have never had problems with rain getting in the smoker during a cook, now after a cook on the other hand when it is cool that's a different story. As soon as my cook is done I put it under a rain shelter immediately.

Clark

Back