Foodsaver dying ???

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
The pump is not getting it done. Is there a way to clean it ? Sounds like its pumping but not getting a full suction.

Sounds like it's dead.
icon_frown.gif

The first one I bought years ago did the same thing...luckily it happened just a short time after I bought it & I was able to replace with a newer model because they (it was from Linens & Things when they were still around) stopped carrying the model that broke. 6 years later, the "new" one is still going strong.
As far as cleaning it...well, good luck....if you can figure that one out and get it running, then post the procedure, please.
I know nothing about the inards of these things, but it sounds like an old school fish-pump on steroids when they're running.....maybe it's a simple diaphram that needs to be replaced. If you're handy with that sort of stuff, take a look.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
The pump is not getting it done. Is there a way to clean it ? Sounds like its pumping but not getting a full suction. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this happening on every attempt? Every now and then I experience that either from too much excess at the top, or some liquid in the bag keeping it stuck together

Before you toss it make absolutely sure you bags are sealed at the closed end, and that the foam gasket is sitting properly. You prolly thought of those, but worth repeating.

Mine was acting up and I ordered two new gaskets from Foodsaver and now it is doing fine. I think that maybe they should be replaced every year or so, depending on how much you use it. About $3 each plus shipping.

I have one of the old old Tilia Foodsavers from the early 1980's and it had a more powerful piston motor. The seal at the pump finally got were it was stiff and did not hold suction, so we bought a new one a few years back.

I wonder if they have the seals for the old ones as well. I never thought about calling them as it was way out of warranty.

Back