Hot Paprika?

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
I found a Brisket rub recipe that looks awesome, it's made w/coffee, however, it's made with an ingredient I'm unfamiliar with, "hot paprika." Is anyone familiar with with this ingredient. If I cannot find it what is an acceptable substitution?

Here's a list of the other ingredients: ground coffee, kosher salt, dark brown sugar, cardamom ginger fresh garlic and vegetable oil.

Hey Larry,

Try any european ethnic grocery stores. Polish, hungarian, spanish ... maybe others as well.

I don't have many dried chiles to choose from ... of what I do have I'd probably grind up some guajillo ... nice flavor, not too strong, modest heat.

'Hot' paprika (aka 'sharp' paprika) isn't what any of us would consider hot at all (it ain't cayenne!). It is more like mild chile flavor (very mild unless very high quality) with a little bit of bite to it. A T of typical hot paprika would be kind of similar to a T of ancho with a very tiny pinch of cayenne mixed in. The difference, however, would likely be that the ancho has more chile flavor than the paprika. Again, depends on paprika quality--moreso than it depends on ancho quality as ancho holds its flavor after grinding for longer. (Ancho is much darker but I'm only thinking of flavor/heat here.)

Thanks guys, what do you think of the rest of the ingredients? They say the coffee gives the brisket a bit of a caramel taste. I'm going to shoot for trying it this weekend.

I use coffe in rubs for beef fairly often.

Imo, the rub ingredient list is a bit lacking but I do like the cardamom, ginger, garlic additions.

This is a rub I developed for brisket they I have used on other beef cuts as well. Scroll down from the recipe to see the modded version, which I prefer.

You'll note similarities between the ingredients above and this dry-over-paste combo as well.

Back