South Carolina- Mustard Based Sauce

Wade G

TVWBB Fan
I ate alot of good bbq at a good smokehouse in Greenville. The meat was great.

The spicy mustard based sauce was even better. Tangy and flavored with red pepper flakes, it was awesome. Anybody got a recipe that may approximate this?

Thanks.

Wade....

Try this one. It is my personal favorite. It has some heat so be careful.

Miss Piggy Mustard Sauce

1 cup Mustard
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Cider vinegar
1/4 cup Brown sugar, light
2 tablespoons Chili powder
1 teaspoon Pepper
1 teaspoon White pepper
1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon Hot sauce
1 teaspoon Soy sauce, dark
2 tablespoons Butter

Combine all ingredients except soy sauce and butter. Add the vinegar last. Add to your desired thickness.
Simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and add butter and soy sauce.

Kevin,

I always mix up a batch of "Miss Piggy Mustard Sauce" when I'm smokin' up pork butt. My guests love it. In addition to Miss Piggy's, I mix up some "Smokin Okie's Pulled Pork Baste & Serving Sauce" Recipe . We soak our buns with Smokin Okie's Sauce and cover the pork with the Mustard Sauce. It's always a huge hit. I've tried a lot of different sauces, but this is the combination that brings people back begging for more.

Thanks Dino.

I tried and did something wrong...it came out well chewy is kind of strong but you could close your teeth tell there was something between 'em very strange......will try another batch tonight.

Mustard BBQ Sauce

1 1/2 cups French's prepared mustard
7 T brown sugar
8 T tomato paste
5 T apple cider vinegar
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1/2 t cayenne
1/2 t black pepper
1/2 t granulated garlic

Whisk and heat slowly over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Don't overcook, just heat to blend flavors.

(From; Peace, Love, and BBQ)

Tried Miss Piggy again, cut back on the peppers (cutting each in half and it is STILL to hot for the wife) at least this batch isn't chewy. Will post party-goers reactions early next week. Thanks! Oh I used half yellow and half brown this time around...was running out of both.

Made this sauce 3 times now and get raves everytime. I am starting to make it my own. Couple of tweaks I do are:

1/2 Yellow 1/2 Brown mustard
Substitute Guajillo and Ancho chile powder in place of the "Chili" powder.
substitute Chipotle powder for Cayenne
Cholula as the Hot Sauce

I have halfed the hot sauce and the Chipotle peppers in an attempt to take out the heat but it is still to hot for the wife....

I love and so far everyone of my guests (3 cooks) has raved about this sauce. Thanks for the recipe.

Miss Piggy's is one of those sauces ya either like or don't. Personally, I don't like it as is, but I love it without the sugar. I get raves for both styles. I guess it is a personal preference.

I am looking for a thin mustardy sauce for my pork. I like the mustard sauce from Smokey bones. Is there anything close to that? The link to Smokin Okeys is gone from above.

Thanks.

When I did my first pork butt a couple of years ago, my wife objected to regular tomato-based barbecue sauce because she grew up eating way too much of it. So I had to come up with something different. She LOVES mustard, so this made perfect sense. I decided to Google "mustard barbecue sauce" and the first recipe that came up was one from barbecue.about.com (and it's still the first hit on a Google search). I have to say it's a fantastic recipe, very simple, with a lot of vinegar and a spicy kick!

I dub it "Pork Paint".

1 cup prepared yellow mustard
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter (I skip this, makes it too creamy for my liking)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon cayenne

Mix all ingredients together and simmer over a low heat for 30 minutes.

The balsamic is very powerful, but I love the stuff!

Dan,

I'll be trying this "Pork Paint" today. Really hard to find commercial mustard based sauces out here in California. Only one I've found readily available is at Whole Foods.

Nice sauce! Wife thought it a tad hot but loves the balsamic. Added 2 tablespoons honey to even it out for her. Next time will cut the cayenne in half and maybe add some fresh herbs like thyme and oregano.

I made Ms Piggy for some shoulders I smoked this weekend and it is really interesting. It was sweet, sour a bit spicy all at the same time. while I like it, I don't know if it will be my new favorite or not.

I also made some #5 and then saw my housemate using sweet baby rays at lunch....ouch!

Randy

Back