Chipotle rub for beef

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
If you have a recipe for a good chipotle rub with garlic in it that you'd care to share, I'd love to hear from you.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Here are a few that I have in my recipe collection. I haven't tried any of them, so can't vouch for their "good" ness. They just met your requirement of chipotle and garlic! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Britt’s “Another Smoked Brisket Rub”
2 Tbsp. non-iodized salt
2 Tbsp. course black pepper
1 Tbsp. chipotle powder
1 Tbsp. ground cumin
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
Wet brisket with lemon juice, then put on the rub. Smoke for 18 hours or until tender.

Ackerman’s Chipotle Rub and Red Chili Sauce
Rub
2 anchos, stemmed and seeded
5 dried chipotles, stemmed and seeded
5 cloves garlic, peeled
1 Tbsp. Mexican oregano
1/3 cup kosher salt

Red Chile Sauce
2 anchos
2 cascabels
1 pasilla
1 canned chipotle
4 cloves garlic, unpeeled, pan roasted
1 large tomato, pan roasted and seeded
water
salt
sugar

Pan roast chilies and oregano until fragrant. When cool, grind in spice mill with garlic and salt.
For the sauce, stem and seed the dried chilies. Toast in a heavy skillet until fragrant. Grind when cool in a food processor. Add tomatoes, garlic and chipotle. Add enough water to make it pourable. Strain in a food mill. Pour it back in the skillet and heat to bubbling. Salt to taste. Sugar to taste, if necessary.

Chipotle Rub
7 chipotles — stemmed and seeded
5 anchos — stemmed and seeded
25 cloves garlic
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup Mexican oregano

Toast chilies until fragrant. Let cool. Toast oregano. Do not let it burn. Grind all ingredient in coffee grinder. Apply as you would salt.

Chipotle Rub
1/4 cup dried Mexican oregano*
1/4 cup corn oil
5 dried chipotle chiles* — stemmed, seeded, and deveined (wear rubber gloves)
5 ancho chiles* — seeded and deveined (wear rubber gloves)
25 garlic cloves
1 1/2 cups coarse salt

In a small heavy skillet dry-roast oregano over moderate heat, shaking skillet occasionally, until fragrant and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes, and transfer to a small bowl. Cool oregano completely and in an electric coffee/spice grinder grind fine. In a heavy skillet heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and, using tongs, fry chiles, 1 or 2 at a time, turning them, until
puffed and just beginning to brown, about 10 seconds. (Do not let chiles burn or rub will be bitter.)
Transfer chiles as fried to paper towels to drain and cool until crisp. Wearing rubber gloves, break chiles into pieces and in coffee/spice grinder grind fine in batches. In a food processor grind oregano and chiles with garlic and salt until mixture is a shaggy, saltlike consistency. If mixture seems moist,
on a large baking sheet spread it into a thin even layer and dry in middle of an oven set at lowest temperature until no longer moist, about 1 hour. Wearing rubber gloves, break up any lumps with your fingers. (Chipotle rub keeps in an airtight container, chilled 6 months. Regrind rub before using.)
Makes about 3 1/4 cups.

Just for reference, someone on another forum suggested I start with 3 tsp chipotle powder, 2 tsp each salt and pepper, and 1 tsp granulated garlic. I'll report back with results, for future reference.

Thanks - Keri C

Back