How do you make a firm meatloaf

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am going to do a smoked meatloaf for the first time. Will use Chris's receipe. I like firm rather than soggy meatloaf. Anyone know how to make sure the meatloaf is firm?

Thanks
Lyle

Cut back on the liquid from your normal recipe if it is not firm enough and/or add a little more bread, cracker crumbs, oatmeal or whatever you are using. Use dry onion flakes or minced onion instead of fresh.

In Chris's basic meatloaf recipe I would personally omit the milk (I don't keep it in the house). But you could try it as is first, there have been ample favourable reviews. Worst case you think you would like to modify the recipe for your own tastes and you have a baseline.

If it truly is not firm enough for you you could omit the milk or cut back on the liquid. Use 1/4 C ketchup and 2 TBSP milk for example. Maybe add a few more cracker crumbs. That would help.

My meatloaves are very firm, the only liquids I use are eggs, worcestershire and salsa if making Southwest meatloaf. Sometimes I add a bit of water if it just seems too dry, but not usually. I always use lean ground meats for meatloaf, never regular.

Mix the cold meat and salt only, until the mix begins to get }tacky", continue mixing until it turns to "bouncy". Add everything else and form.

Then there are binders such as Soy Protein Concentrate....

Hope this helps

Joe Ames

Thanks for the input I will try this. I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you use an electric mixer to mix the meatloaf this would help also. Anyone else heard of this?

Lyle

Yes, but the texture suffers. And you have to be particular with the meat your using.

Try Shawn's suggestions first, and Joe's (I'd wait on the soy protein). If you find your loaf is too moist for your taste, change your whole eggs to egg whites. Egg yolks add--and retain--moisture. If you use 2 eggs, use 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites. Still too moist? Switch to 4 egg whites. I'd encourage you to take a step or two at a time so that you hit exactly what your looking for more accurately.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lyle M:
... I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you use an electric mixer to mix the meatloaf this would help also... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> My new mixer has mixed six 5lb meatloafs and I think it does a wonderful job. If nothing else, it saves you from freezing your hands and the 'meat under the finger nails cleanup'.

True. The frozen hand thing is annoying at best. Standing mixers work well with their variable speeds and larger whisks. And they're it for making more than one at a time. It's hand mixers where you need to be careful. It's easy to overmix if using a hand mixer, imo.

Thanks everyone for your ipput. I am going to try it this weekend.
Lyle

No problem Lyle. Just want to point out one thing, when I suggested "add a little more 'bread'", the intention isn't to use it to suck up excess liquid. Remove excess liquid from the recipe to start with then gradually adjust bread amount till it's right for you. The only thing I measure any more is salt, I just know by sight and touch how much of other ingrediants I like to use.

Trying to sop up excess liquid with too much bread will make a pasty-gooey-doughy-cannon-ball-in-yer-gut meatloaf. I should know, I have made a few of these.
icon_smile.gif

If you are doing it WSM can I suggest setting it on a piece of parchment paper cut to fit? I like using it instead of a pan because the fat drains, the meatloaf does not stick or wedge itself between grate rungs.

Lyle, one other thing that has worked for me when making meatcake ;-) is I always use a high quality of meat. I use nothing less than 80% lean. Plus, I cover them with some kind of commercial tomato sauce(Ragu, Prego,etc). The meatloaf always turns out firm but moist.Try something different ,throw a packet of dry onion soup mix in with your mixture.

Ground beef, ground pork, an egg, and some smashed up saltines. Well, I used ground venison instead of the ground beef, but it was the same idea. Oh, and maybe some Thai ketchup! (sriracha) or is that for the sauce?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back