weber gas go anywhere

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
found one today at a second hand store for $10. its rough but not beat up. missing the regulator but thats no biggee. sure wish it had been a charcoal one but i'm still very happy. normally i never see stuff like this.

i already have a wood handled ga gasser. but i couldn't resist rescuing it especially at that price. i will probably find it a good home.

yea, that may be what happens. by the time i get it running it will be up there in $$$$$$$.
i just have a hard time doing that though.

Interesting, it says it may fit the old Performer tube, but its not original to a Performer,so you won't find it on an old performer.
However, this is interesting, it means you can convert an older Performer to use the small propane tanks like the newer ones.
Intriguing..

so i go to the same second hand store again and guess what ? yep, found another gas ga ! this one looks like it was used once. the grate has no rust and just a trace of food. super clean. $13.50. when i saw it i just started laughing. i think the lady near me thought i had lost it.

I just picked up a GA gas for $20 from CL that had been used twice. I bought it for the 3 wood handles. In fact another CL post for $30 was boasting "upgraded" handles for the plastic ones LOL.

Several of the local concert and camping venues don't allow open fires in the Summer lately and require gas so this will work for that too.
Anyway I have a smoky joe silver(?) the old style with the vents underneath.

Is the GA charcoal better to use than the SJ? I was thinking it might be good for kabos cuz I could lay the skewers across the base box over the coals with no grill. But it looks like the GA doesn't have any bottom vent dampers.

Also I looked up the pdf manual an noticed it is missing a little clip used to secure the bottom legs together when it is in use. do I need this clip or will it stay up ok without it? Looks cheap from weber parts...

Thoughts?

i think the gas ga is an adequate grill. not really ment for heavy cooking. but i have cooked several times on mine and have been pleased with it. before you go out to use it i suggest a little practice at home when you have the time to mess around. one thing is that the fire/heat is cooler on the regulator side. also suggest making a little wind shield around the air port to prevent blow outs.
as to the charcoal ga i think it would be a great choice. i think both the sj and ga have their place. you will have to find what works for you. the charcoal ga does have vents. they are on the lower sides of the body. they slide up and down to open and close the vents holes. the clips were added later so the older ones did not have them. not really needed unless yer just the rough kind of guy and like to knock things around. if yer concerned you can always just wrap a small piece of wire around the legs.

Well George you're quite the GA guru!!

The angle iron kabob mod looks excellent and thanks for the tip on the blow-out shroud--its windy in Colorado so I'm sure i'll need.

I am going to have to go snooping around for a cheap charcoal GA to rehab now!!!

I think I'm going to ditch my smoky Joe. Those pics of indirect on the charcoal GA were super--perfect for small cooks now that it is me and my wife and the kids almost all gone. The shape is so much better than the SJ.

Back