Savory Brisket Dry Rub

Rick Angiel

TVWBB Fan
I finally found a brisket recipe my wife likes. She has repeatedly said she just doesn't like smoked beef. Well after trying this recipe, she asked when I was going to smoke another one. I think one of the keys was the onion powder, and possibly the lack of the SW flavors (she is not a big cumin fan)

Ingredients:
1/2 C Onion Powder
1/4 C Kosher Salt
1/4 C Garlic Powder
1/4 C Hungarian Paprika
1/4 C Brown Sugar
1/4 C Cracked Black Pepper

Mix ingredients well and apply to both sides of the brisket. I applied it about 12 hours before putting on the WSM.

I found this recipe at: http://www.smoker-cooking.com/brisketdryrubrecipe.html

I really like this brisket rub. I kicked it up with some chipotle powder and cayenne, best I've had in a while for sure!

Same here... I just tried this rub on my first brisket and it was out of this world! The rub smells very oniony at first and when you rub it into the meat, but when its done it leaves a very tasty crust, not overpowering with the onion. I added a little tiny kick of cayenne for the slightest bit of heat.. I also added a little sweet basil and oregano. Turned out really well.

I've got a choice flat thawing in the fridge and I think I'm gonna try this rub. I'll give my opinion afterwards.

When the word BBQ is mentioned in my little piece of Texas it.s all about the brisket with sausage taking a close second. I have tried several different rubs even made a few of my own that were pretty good. but the absolute best is the way my Paw Paw and my Daddy showed me. It is simple; Kosher salt, cracked back pepper, Mexican oregano, and granulated garlic. let it sit wrapped up 24 hrs. Then in the oak smoke.

Chuck I mix 1 cup K salt, 1/4 cup pepper,1/4 cup Granulated garlic. Season the entire brisket evenly and sort of heavy Keep in mind this is a *"BIG" piece of meat the MEXICAN oregano I use about 1 tbl. per side; I crush it up between my palms and sprinkle it on then pat everything in real good. Wrap and in the ice box.
*the smallest briskets I cook are packers 12 lb. min. before trimming.
The rub that started this thread has all the same ingredients that are in my pork rub with the exception that I include cayenne pepper.

Where do you all buy your seasonings? I hate to admit it, but I've found The Dollar Store a good value for onion and garlic powder. I buy all my sea salt there too. I like to buy in fairly small quantities to retain freshness. Think there's a quality difference? I can't find it.

Back