sjs mod

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
no pic but i was thinking of the issue of ash covering the lower holes. so last night i thought of a "fix". i'm gonna try it out in a day or so and see if it really works. the idea is to get a can about 4" dia and put it around the lower vent inside so the ash won't get to the holes. i don't think this will have any effect on the air flow if its only an inch or so high. this only applies to doing indirect cooking and smoking when the coals are put on one side or on the outside area of the grate.

George - I've been thinking about that, too. I thought about a metal can, with holes punched in the sides to allow air flow, but with a top, so the ash would fall down on top of and around the can, but as long as the holes are above the ash line, then there should be enough air flow.

Same idea?

Pat

i thought about the can with and without. i think a tall can with holes on the upper sides would work with coals covering the whole grate. i was gonna use a short can with an open top for using coals indirect. so now i'm gonna try both. i only have a short can to use for my indirect cook right now. will get a taller can later and try that. fun fun.

welllll, i really almost want to delete this whole thing. i have no idea what brain cell acted up but i'm feeling kinda stupid right now. talking low and high can is way beyond me as to what the heck i was talking about. there is only 2" betwwen the bottom of the sj and the charcoal grate. so i gotta go and find a can that is lower than the ones i have thus this is gonna be delayed for a while.
icon_redface.gif
icon_redface.gif
icon_redface.gif

George

For a can that might work go to your favorite Cafe and see if they will give you a Tuna can, the commercial can is just like the home owners shape but is much larger. Might work

Later

Take a regular can and cut it down with a hacksaw or Dremel? I meant to play with this today but got distracted cooking Roadside Chicken thigh quarters on the WSM!!

Pat

I use a small can (baked beans from a well known company) cut it to size with my band saw and drilled 3/8" holes the entire way around the side just below the top leaving just enough metal to hold the thing on. It's working pretty good. I've also thought about just using natural lump for less ash build up.

Back