Older Genesis - Smoker Kit

Eric Aarseth

TVWBB Super Fan
I have an older Genesis 1000 LP (vintage 1994/95). I wanted to order the steam n chips kits but unsure if it will fit. I asked Weber customer service, nice gal but was thrown off when she couldn't use my serial number to match to a grill. Her answer was it doesn't fit. That may be correct, but she didn't seem too confident.

Anyone have any knowledge or experience to know if this kit (designed for Genesis Silver and Gold) will fit the 1000? My grill has the three burners (front, middle, back) with the flavorizer bars configured as the Silver (i.e. I can pull the one flavorizer bar which is over the cross-over tube to fit the smoker).

EDIT: 9883 Steam-N-Chip Smoker for the platinum grill certainly looks as if it would fit. Can't find dimensions for the various grates but the configuration sure looks the same as my grill as compared to the Genesis Gold and Platinum.

I've also going to order the SS grates.

Similarly - does anyone have a recommendation to use a smoker box other than the Weber steam n chips kit?

Hey Eric

I'll give this a shot my silver b thats a couple of years old has grates that are 17-3/8deep and 11-7/8wide .

As far as a smoker box i use aluminum foil made into a packet and toss it on the flavorizer bars with a couple holes poked in it. Works pretty good but you have got to get the grill preheated to et them going.

Seeyaa
Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Rector:
Hey Eric

I'll give this a shot my silver b thats a couple of years old has grates that are 17-3/8deep and 11-7/8wide .

As far as a smoker box i use aluminum foil made into a packet and toss it on the flavorizer bars with a couple holes poked in it. Works pretty good but you have got to get the grill preheated to et them going.

Seeyaa
Jeff </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Two grates, each measures 17 1/2" deep and 11 3/4" wide. I'm guessing that the grates are exactly the same. Thank you for checking. I'm going to order the kit.

I've used the foil technique, but I like toys - a lot.
icon_biggrin.gif

Hey Eric

Yeah thats correct the measurements are for each grate. Ihave 2. I do have cast iron grates its a nice snug fit.

Glad i could help

Eric, I have a Genesis 2000, and I bought a Steam and Chips smoker for it when it was new. My recommendation is to not waste your money on it. I had two, and the little hinge pins broke on both of them.

Even worse was they were pretty ineffective. To actually get chips to smoke required a pretty hot temp, which means food cooked so fast very little smoke was imparted to the food. For longer indirect cooking, the grill doesn't get hot enough to generate much smoke.

I am not the only one who found that smoke box to be useless. I have seen plenty of other people who feel the same way about it. They are expensive and don't do much good.

You could try one of those cast iron chip boxes, but I had one of those and threw it out. It takes too much heat to get it hot enough to generate smoke, and then you have this very hot and heavy cast iron thing to deal with. Not fun. Like the Steam and Smoke, you won't find very many people who are happy with those cast iron boxes. You'll find plenty of people like me who found them to be a waste of money.

What I do is a bit of a pain, but I lift up one of the grates and put a wood chunk (or a foil pouch with chips) on the flavorizor bars right over the rear burner. This works pretty well. The only problem is it's a bit of a pain to lift up a hot cast iron grate, but it only takes a few moments to do it. I could probably fabricate a simple tool to fit between two bars and lift it, but I haven't bothered to do that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Hinkle:
My recommendation is to not waste your money on it. I had two, and the little hinge pins broke on both of them.

Even worse was they were pretty ineffective. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Tom. J Rector was saying the same thing, I guess despite my desire for the gadget I should use common sense and listen. I've tried the foil packet method and even that is hit and miss. I've also discovered, via this post, a great way to impart a healthy smoke flavor in shorter cooks on my OTS.

EDIT: I placed my order and did not get the steam n chips kit. Discovered I have the Genesis 1 not 1000. Very knowledgable lady on the phone (Sally). Set me up with SS flavorizer bars and grates. When I want to introduce smoke flavor I'll use my OTS or WSM.

Gents
My suggestion and method that I employ is to have chunks soaked in Hot water for 20 minutes or cold water for 2 hours between the flavouriser bars over the interconnect burner tube. It works a treat - because the amount of smoke is low you can have up to 4 chunks depending on how much smoke/flavour you want.

Regards

Back